• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pole spear help

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

N@th@n

Nov 6, 2018
So I'm really really new, and having some trouble with my first pole spear.

So I've been diving a couple times with my pole spear which has a six point barbed tip and I'm not having much luck. I have hit many fish during my dives and most of the time it just bounces off. I don't know if the fish I'm hitting are too small or if the points just don't penetrate. But I have done a little bit of research on youtube and most other people I see are instead using slip tips and ice picks, should I be using them instead or am I doing something wrong. It is also fair to point out I stretch the rubber all the way to the tip, so my spear is going as fast as it can go.

Thanks in advance

I've noticed I can really only kill fish with a polespear if I am either (A) Pinning them on the bottom or (B) Pinning them up against a rock or something in the reef. I prefer this tip as it seems to give me the best penetration and hit potential (however keep in mind the tips will usually bend after minimal use and will need to be re-sharpened often)
CSBPHS.jpg

Also, make sure if you get a paralyzer tip like this that it definitely has barbs on it (like a fish hook). You don't want to deal with one that does not have barbs, take my word from experience.

I'm not very experienced in pole spearing but these are some tips I have learned messing around with them a bit. Hope it helps.

Sharp tips and strong rubber is the key. With multi prong or paralyzer tips it helps if the tips are not bent out too much in the beginning. Then they will expand when they hit the fish and then squeeze together again, holding on to the fish. Therefore the barbs are not necessary. Even with barbs it is important to never pull the fish toward you. Pin it to the bottom or swim toward the fish and get your hands on it. The fish might be paralyzed for only a few seconds, so you need to be quick.

I have been fine tuning my self made polespear for a couple years, and it can be up to the smallest detail whether a tip works or not.
Here are some examples where it worked:

And I do not recommend aiming at rocks:

Hopefully this helps a little.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT