• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pony

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
I'm about to pick up a Catalina 30cu.ft. for a pony as I dive solo w/single AL80cu.ft. most of the time.

Anyone have any issues with wearing it as you would a stage? I much more comfortable this way and it the way I'm probably going to go - but if some one has more experince in this... tank mounting is such a pain.

on the solo topic - I have over 100 solo dives, am a dive Instructor and am fully aware of the risks involved. This is Rec solo - 130max. so no lectures on safety ok?

Willer :D

Since you alreday know the solo issues I won't beat a dead horse. ;)

I have worn ponies over the years for both bailout and argon. I have used everything from 6cuft. to 40 cuft. I have tank mounted them and side slung them.

I think that wearing it as a side slung stage would be the easiest way to carry it around, and switch it from one set-up to another. It would also give you the option of ditching all of your other gear and taking the pony with you. Or, you could even pass it off to another diver in need.

Plus, you get the added benifit of a lower cost mounting system. A hose clamp, clip and a a piece of rope are a lot cheaper than some of those pony tamer brackets that I have seen. :head

Jon

yeah - those pony brackets are insane way to $$$ - my Dive-rite stange stap only cost me $30cdn. (yeah - I went for pre-made)

wow it's a pain finding AL30's! I can find 40's but I want the 30 because it's a little shorter....

well 5in - but I like to keep a lower profile.

Willer

I would just go with the 40.
Hey sling pretty nice and you don't notice the extra length when it's hanging on your side.
If you ever do decide to tank mount it to your 80 you'll find that it is the exact same size and balances better when you stand your rig up on a bench.

The main reason I would go for the 40 is because it makes such a darn nice stage bottle for tech diving when you decide to get into it.

Jon

I really wanted to get into Tech. One of the main reasons I became an instructor was to make it pay for my tech training. (well - and I love teaching)

But then I did the math. Now I want a CCR!

Willer

When I wear a multi or a gas rig, I hang a 40(s) or HP80(s) from my backplate straps ala a stage and it seems to hang up less on the kelp and structures, so yeah for me it's the way to go unless I have to carry a serious amount of gas...

sven

SLINGIN' STAGES

When I do any deep stuff or just long dives requiring deco I sling my bottles too. In tech. you don't have alot of choice since you already have a couple of hundred cubic feet(at least) of gas on your back. For rec. stuff just a single w/ the appropriate deco gas. A 40 will do you nice, should have plenty of gas for probably two dives. And I won't preach about the solo stuff since I do it too.
jay

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT