• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pool monopiece suit - what do you think?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TLoonie

Oct 14, 2013
Hey guys,

I get cold in the pool when I train for dynamics and static so I decided to buy a wetsuit.
I looked on the in internet and found the Orca Equip and Orca TRN I like.
http://www.orca.com/fr-en/m-equip-fullsleeve/
http://www.orca.com/fr-en/m-trn-fullsleeve/

Wiggle offers them for 230€ (equip) and 110€ (TRN).

Could you please give me a feedback on those?
I'm wondering if the triathlon extra buyancy is going to be an issue on those models.

Thanks in advance for you help

Hi TLoonie

The TRN is quite popular here as its cheap, only 2mm and the warranty covers pool/chlorine use. They even work quite well for tropical waters too.

Cheers

Hey there Crustyfish

Thanks for the answer and the valuable info :)
Bought it héhé

I will not be cold anymore. I'm so happy!!

Cheers

Hello,

Expanding upon the original statement, "I get cold in the pool when I train for dynamics and static so I decided to buy a wetsuit", I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about sleeveless wetsuits verses full wetsuit for pool use. I'm guessing that static would be more likely to benefit from a full suit where as dynamic might favour a sleeveless as it removes any restrictions on getting the arms stretched-out in front of you. I'll be doing only pool based apnea until at least April 2015, when I plan to get a 5mm wetsuit for open water, but between then and now something thinner for the pool is my priority.

Many thanks in advance.

Philip

Hi Philip,

To give you a feedback on the Orca TRN:
I am satisfied with it. I don't get cold anymore (even after 2h trainings in water), I even get hot at times :)
I don't feel any restrain to stretch my arms. I actually feel like I glide better at the bottom of the pool. Even when I crawl during warm up I don't feel any discomfort. Therefore, fullsuit or sleeveless is just a style preference. I'm not really into the greco-roman wrestling kinda of style, but that's just me. Hope that helps :)

TL

Hi Philip,

To give you a feedback on the Orca TRN:
I am satisfied with it. I don't get cold anymore (even after 2h trainings in water), I even get hot at times :)
I don't feel any restrain to stretch my arms. I actually feel like I glide better at the bottom of the pool. Even when I crawl during warm up I don't feel any discomfort. Therefore, fullsuit or sleeveless is just a style preference. I'm not really into the greco-roman wrestling kinda of style, but that's just me. Hope that helps :)
TL

TRN was probably a better choice for training as its cheaper.

I have Equip and use it only outdoors. The main problem with these wetsuits is that when bought according to Orca sizing guide (at least for Equip and higher end wetsuits), the wetsuit is quite tight by design which works very well to minimize water flow during swimming. During swimming you also don't need to take full breaths. Its not easy to hold full breath for longer periods and I would definitely not use it for statics. It becomes less an issue when freediving in it, since chest gets compressed quickly. But doing DYN in it wouldn't be much fun either. I would also be worried about fainting in the pool after surfacing as it would restrict my ability to breath air quickly. Moreover it takes me like 15-20 minutes to put it on properly. But if you don't go to your limits and using only for freediving then it works quite well. It also works quite well for what it was designed - swimming.

I didn't see anybody using wetsuits for training, reportedly because people either got hot in them in DYN and they didn't last too long.

Great feedback @SimpleJ

In the end it comes to personal preferences.
It takes me 5mn to put it on.
It's tight enough to keep the water from coming in often, thus flushing the warmed up water away.
The Orca's sizing guide told me to take an 8 and I took a MT. An 8 size would have been too big for me (tall & thin)
It doesn't keep me from breathing, neither in DYN nor in STA.
And to top it all up, it answers my first need, which was/is, not to be cold in the water after 2h

I'd recommand it to anyone looking for a pool suit :)

- TL -

Maybe I'm just too sensitive to tight wetsuits :). I have size 7. Maybe TRN is also a little bit thinner than equip. I don't have both so I can't compare. But according to Orca it seems to have some thicker floation panels that TRN doesn't. But in freediving its not a problem at all, 3kgs weight make it perfect for fast diving. The weights are where the flotations panels are, so its compensated easily. I even like it more than my 5mm custom (not slick skin outside).

For statics 5mm with hood was the best. The difference between tightness of swimming wetsuits and custom freediving wetsuits (with hood) is huge. With hood you don't need the wetsuit be so tight anymore and don't really want anyhing pushing on your chest and waist more than necessary. But those customs are too expensive to be used in swimming pool frequently so TRN seems perfect.

the link for TRN is not available anymore. anybody has different link? thanks.

I get cold in the pool for DYN too eventhough living in tropical country. currently using elios 1.5mm, open cell. but it's getting old, and I am going to find cheaper option as it is too expensive to buy again.

the link for TRN is not available anymore. anybody has different link? thanks.

I get cold in the pool for DYN too eventhough living in tropical country. currently using elios 1.5mm, open cell. but it's getting old, and I am going to find cheaper option as it is too expensive to buy again.
Well I just had a look at the Orca website and it would seem that they have dropped the TRN from their 2015 product range. Hunt them down in the shops, on-line get them where you can!

Reactions: radziah
Well I just had a look at the Orca website and it would seem that they have dropped the TRN from their 2015 product range. Hunt them down in the shops, on-line get them where you can!
yeah, I tried finding them too in Orca website to no avail. Thanks Philip, will try!

Hi @radziah , It seems that Wiggle got some TRNs in stock! They say it's exclusively..
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/

Same price point as Aqua Skin Winter 1mm suit.
http://www.aquasphereswim.com/us/me...r-men-thermal/item/82-aqua-skin-full-suit-men

So which one for indoor pool DYN with monofin?

According to specs, there are some differences:

Orca TRN:
- Great flexibility across the shoulders provided by 2mm Yamamoto 39 cell neoprene
- Increased buoyancy through 4mm smoothskin neoprene over the hips and bottom, helps to optimum the body position in the water.
- SCS-coated (on shoulders & arms) Yamamoto #39 Cell Neoprene
- Speed Transition Panels - allows quick transition out of the suit

Aqua skin Winter:
  • Thermo-Guard technology provides warmth and max flexibility and range of motion in the shoulders, legs and chest
  • 0.5-1mm Glide Skin neoprene offers increased speed and freedom of movement in water due to a low drag coefficient
  • Double-lock Collar offers maximum comfort while keeping water out
  • Special panels under the arm and crotch to prevent chafing and provide added comfort
  • Easy-pull, deep back zipper for easy on and off
I

Update: Finally managed to fetch my AquaSphere from postal office and tested it. Holy crap, it is tight! I used AA's lube recipe, and managed to put it on after great struggle. When it was on, it felt great. Although, I looked kind of stupid :)

Can't wait to test it, hopefully next friday.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT