• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pool Training?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

XabreTooth

Jan 13, 2006
hi ppl!

I'm seeking advises on how to put together my pool training.

As of now, I usually swim for half an hour (medium intensity, crawl) then dive laps (pool is 25m) for 30-40 minutes. By then I'm shivering!

My total underwater workout is usually about 15 dives, each lasting app. 1:10. And, yeah, I swim pretty slow! My underwater swimming is relaxed - I try to get a good 'feel' under water as opposed to a forced and unpleasant experience.

At times i swim two full laps (50m), which is not that hard, but does require quite a lot of mental effort.

Alright - In abbreviated form, that is my current regimen..

It occurs to me, that perhaps I should be more agressive? As of now, all i really do is chill in the pool. ;)

I also have the same problem. I use a shorty suit for dynamic training, and it makes a bit of difference.

Lucia

If you're going to train both crawling and underwater swimming, perhaps it's better to first do the underwater part, then the crawling. That way, you get the benefits of cool water (vasoconstriction) for freediving and once you get a bit nippy, you can warm yourself back up again with the aerobic work-out. My dynamics after doing laps are usually a lot harder to do, it takes a long time for my heart to slow down again, also because it's pumping to keep me warm. Laps after dynamics, however, are easy for you've already have that feel for the water but now you can hit the throttle. In really cold pools i tend to wear the pants of my freedive suit, but as they're 5 mm, my legs go up. It's nice&warm, though.

As for intensity, it depends. The Solomons have a good article on this website (http://deeperblue.net/article.php/695/17 ), but if you're training solo, their schedule is far too intense. You seem to be on the right track with the relaxation, though. Throw in a little bit of technique, stay within safe limits and you should be fine. Just switch the two routines, i'd say.

Hi Xabretooth,

Sounds like you are doing fine. Relaxed is good. You will be pleasantly surprised when you get to the ocean.

Be careful of intensity. As you continue to progress, pretty soon 75 will feel like 50 today and you will be getting up in the range where a BO is possible. It's time to find a buddy or keep it short.

Connor

Yes, training with buddy is important.
I can also recommend U the book of Umberto Pelizzari, which U can get from here (from DeeperBlue).

Then, you can do some aerob training like running, cycling, swimming (as you do).
Some more apnea specific swimming training can be swimming freestyle with every 3th, 4th, 7th, 9th (what appropriate for you) stroke breathing a given distance (50m, 75m or 100m, ..) resting in between..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT