• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Poseidn Jetstream, Scubapro D400 and Mares Abyss: the best one?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

andreadiver

Nov 2, 2003
I have a big doubt... : i don't know which is among the Mares Abyss, the Scubapro D400 and the Poseidon jetstream the one which is best at ALL depths, and offers the minimun breathing effort. And also which is the one that I can also use with Nitrox up to 40% O2??
Can you suggest me please?
:confused: :hmm ;) :p :t

Andrea,

I, personally, wouldn't use any of those regulators, but if those are the ones your looking at, here's a spot that has done some testing and you can read the reviews:

http://www.divernet.com/gear/testindx.shtml

As far as 40% nitrox goes, any regualtor on the market can work with that. I have also used brand new regulators, right out of the box, with 100% 02 and never had a problem with them. The problems come from mixing gases in a scuba cylinder and usually not from the regulator that you hook up to it to breath off of.

Other regs to look at are:
Apeks, Oceanic, Dive Rite, Aqualung, Scubapro- but not the one you mentioned in you post. Basically any type of down-stream regulator that allows you to remove its face plate without the use of any tools and uses standard, code word for "cheaper", hoses.

Jon

Hi Andrea

I have used all 3 of these regs although not extensively.

The best breather of the lot was the Mares Abyss by a long margin but I personally didn't like the way the D400 or the Jetstream breathed.

In my opinion, there are better regs available than any of your 3 choices.

Apeks make some fantastic regs. They breathe very well, are extremely reliable and are also easy to service.

I use mostly Apeks DS4 1st stages with TX50 2nd stages. The people I dive with use everything from TX50s to the ATX200 and all have proven to be both exceptional performers while being superbly reliable.

If I absolutely had to choose between 1 of the 3 that you mentioned, I would grab the Mares, especially since the Scubastore have them on special at the moment.

Cheers

Ash

I'll third the motion for the apeks regs, far superior than any of the others listed...

I'll third the Apeks, Simple, reliable, effortless breathing.

Jetstreams do make a rather attractive paperweight......

Hi,

From your original question, having used all of these regs, I would say by far, the best breathe is the Mares Abyss.

However, by a long shot the Apeks regs mentinoed are the best value for money and a very, very good breathe. They are also possibly the best all-round reg, because they are more furture-proof than the Abyss. They are more streamlined on a twinset, should you decide to go that way, which means you don't have to buy more regs in the future.
You can get a good streamlining from the Posiedon, but they are more expensive to service and I think the breathe on the Cyclone is actually more superior than the jetstream - but that is a personal preference.

Good luck with the decision.

Jeannette

200's are super sweet, but for the money the DS4 won for me. great reg!

DS4 first stage (DIN) with a TX50 second stage- if you can find it.

Jon

Great minds think alike:D

The Apeks DS4/TX50 combination is probably the best value for money available today in high performance regs.

I own 5 of them and use them for everything including stage and argon. They use the same parts as the more expensive Apeks regs and they perform just as well.

Ash

Reactions: Jon
Apeks would be better ... value for money

As for Poseidon .. High Service price tag.

I have couple of both type of regs.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT