• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Possible mild samba?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dallasdiver

Feb 3, 2004
The past weekend I got a wild hair and drove 200 miles south of Dallas to a beautiful lake in Austin, Tx. Lake Travis is really pretty and deep at a depth of 170'. It was a beautiful sunny day with air temps in the 80's. Surface temps of water were in the low 60's and temp at depth was upper 50's. The lake has the perfect setup for freediving with a small platform anchored with a chain just 80 yards off shore right near the dam. After about a dozen warmup dives to some of the sunken boats, I started pulling myself up and down the chain from the platform. I started with a 30' dive and added about 10' with each additional dive. I had a little trouble clearing my ears at 60' but felt comfortable with each depth. On the way down to 75' I had to stop twice to clear my left ear which was clearing very slowing verses my right ear which cleared instantly. I hung at 75' for about 5 seconds and started heading up. It must have taken me longer to get down that I realized because on the way up I began to feel the strain to breathe. When I broke the surface I grabbed the platform and took a few deep breathes and felt fine. Within 6 seconds after surfacing both my hands gave a single quick twitch which seemed to be involuntary. Nothing too dramactic, just that my fingers seemed to clamp closed for just in instant. I felt completely lucid and was trying to figure out whether or not if I had purposely squeezed my hands closed due to the cold or unconsiously. Your thoughts?

Could be a samba, hard to tell. Extreme cold (<3C water) has been known to cause involuntary twitches in the hands, but that would not likely occur right after recovery breathing....

I was wearing only a thin pair on gloves on and my hands and they were fairly cold. When my hands twitched, it seemed more like a WTF was that type reaction.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT