• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Power Regulators?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Stevie T

Jan 27, 2003
Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying a Cressi Pnuematic gun as my Immersion 100cm is too long for most of the places I fish. I have noticed that the smallest gun in the Cressi range does not have a power regulator, my question is what does this actually do, i.e. is it a regulator that is pre-set or is it user adjustable and is it better to have one or not?

Cheers

Steve

It cuts the power of the gun substantially, Use it around rocks and in caves etc.
It is preset all you do is slide a switch and the power is reduced.
I also makes loading big guns easy, load in the reduced power setting and switch it back if you want.
I find Pneumatics troublesome, any sand and grit in the muzzle and goodbye seals.
That said they are powerful and work well for real tight caves etc.

Cheers for the reply Huan,

I mainly fish over shallow reefs for bass and flat fish, so I was thinking of getting a 50cm gun as my 100cm is far too long. The water depth is generally around 3-5m and viz is usually about the same or sometimes less, so do you think I will be better off sticking to a gun with bands?

Steve

Steve
I would look for a 75cm rubber gun maybe a cheap imersion or beuchat? Failing that maybe a 55-60cm pneumatic.
I think a 75cm would be OK for limited Vis conditions.
I have used my 90 in a lot of different conditions onlly finding it too long when I couldn't see the end of the spear!

Stick the 100 on Ebay and get a decent 75cm band gun, it is the best option for 90% of the fishing around Weymouth and Portland. It is short enough for hole fishing, but can also be used in open water. The small gas guns are good in holes or for flatties, but useless in open water
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

Stevie i spear around weymouth and portland too and have recently brought a cressi-sub comanche 75 rubber gun and it is very good and not too much money either.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT