• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Prana-Reducing your heartrate!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Joakim

Jul 15, 2002
I have a question for you all out there.

Does anyone know how to reduce the heart rate before a static or when going deep. As we have seen in Oceanmen, Umberto reduces his heart rate with Prana (breathing). But should I breath normly or should I ventilate my entire lungs?

Does anyone have the answere to my question?

Regards Joakim

Pranayama

This exercise works well for me in reducing my heart rate :

Important is to breath with ratio 1-4-2-1

1- inhaling (first belly, then full lungs, then the top of the lungs around claviculas)
4- apnoe
2- exhaling (every breathing is through the nose, while exhaling pinch your nose slightly to make the exhale last longer )
1- apnoe after full exhale (you have to make negative pressure in your lungs, trying to inhale throgh the closed mouth)

This technique you will find in every serious Yoga book. The best would be to find one and make a closer look.

I am able to do only some 3 reps of this in a row. Whole execise must be done in relaxed and controlled way. When you're pushing or when you're out of breath it is better to make a little break (slow but deep breathing in ratio 1(inhale) - 2 (exhale)).

After some 15 mins of such excercise my HR drops from 45 (my HR in quiet) to some 38 Bpm and stays around 40 for some 2 hours.
I feel very relaxed.

Don't forget that your mind plays an important role in yoga. What I've written is only instruction to the exercise. The book will answer all your questions.
You'll find there that Pranayama should be done only after completing all previous grades of yoga. Think about it.

Good luck with Prana.
O'Boy
Zvolen,SK

Pranayama

Thanks mate!

Thanks for the instructions, now I know more about the ratio and that Im not alone when it comes to being without breath after awhile.

Take care and I hope you'll have a great new freediving year!

Mr Kim
"Srecno novo godino!"

I maybe totally wrong, but I thought from reading Pipen’s post on IAFD and Eric F and other big gun divers on this forum, is that the goal of Pranayama breathing, or what ever type of fast breathing you want to call it, is to increase ones heart beat right before the start of a static or dive so that more oxygen can be get into the blood.

I thought the goal is to get into your dive reflex that is accompanied with low heart rates, then increase your heart rate through ventilation, then start, then relax and get back to a low heart beat.
Just my thoughts,
Don

PS I’m, jealous. I haven’t got to see Oceanmen yet!

O'Boy, great resting heart rate!

heart rate

In the ideal situation, your heart would be beating around 120 beats per minute during your breathe up, and then as soon as you hold your breath, your heart would drop way down (to say 10-30 bpm). That is what we should try to accomplish.

Seals and other diving mammals actually reach this pattern. HR of 120+ on the surface, dropping to 10-30 upon immersion.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

I will add a bit here...
at first you wnt to be as relaxed as possible so as to decrease muscle tension; the slow heart rate is a by-product of that process. Once you ave initiated your dive reflex through the procedures you use, such as empty lung dives, full-lung dives, statics, and variables of those, your body will change your heart rate as it needs to adapt to your changed body state. This means exactly what Eric stated, and rememberthat you will be even more relaxed, despite the high heart rate during breath-ups.
For instance, simply initiating a high heart rate by any means available is not necessarily the right thing to do for freediving....you must relax for optimum benefit :)
Cheers from Bali,
Erik Y.

Fast heart rate before dive

This whole idea of getting to a fast heart rate right before the dive is new to me. I have always focused on achieving max relaxation and low heart rate right up to the last breath. Pranayama and such has helped me kick in the dive reflex, but I haven't used anything other than relaxed breathing right before the dive.

So, what are some tips and techniques for staying relaxed but cranking up your heart rate right before a dive? Also how fast can your heart rate drop once you actually go under? Seems like it could negate the effect if your heart beats fast at the beginning of the dive.

Bryan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT