• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pranayama and static tables

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mlaen

Making progress...
Jun 22, 2003
I my morning training I'll add pranayama so I have a few questions about pranayama and static tables:

1. What should be done first - pranayma or static tables(CO2)
I was thinking to do pranayama first and then tables so I would probably had a better performance in tables, but maybe it's better to to pranayama after tables to return my body to 'normal' conditions. What do you think - does this have any sense?

2.How long should I rest between pranayama and static tables?

Last edited:
Hi, just try both things and judge by yourself :D
For me, pranayama is a good prep for doing static tables, but not an expert :)

I've been thought to do pranayama first.
But I'm lazy and didn't experiment enough with it to make it work.

I think BlueIcarus gave you the best answer, just try both.

Though an answer based on theory should also be very interesting.

As for the theory: After Anuloma Viloma (6:24:12:0 cycles)
my heart rate always drops like 10 beats or so below normal
and my lungs have that 'magic' elasticity again. Not very theoric, huh? hehe
I think the slow heart is because of the vagal nerve stimulation,
but sure there's lots of people who can express and explain this
better than I. For me, just expeculation. I also do fire breathing
before Anuloma Viloma, but the effects I think are very similar
to a 'common' hyperventilation

The complete pack would be some Sun Salutations, asanas, then savasana, pranayama and then the tables. I always touch PB when doing this sequence, even If It's a 5km run. Misterious... there was a thread about this fact somewhere in DB knowledge-space :D

Mlaen, I'll be happy if you'll come back with results. :D

BI, How much is 10 beats below normal?

I was told to monitor my pulse when I wake up, do pranayama and monitor it again. And do pranayama before tables as well incase I don't do them in the morning.
Been told to start with a 6:6:6:0 cycle.
It felt abit like I was hyperventilating (but better), and my pulse always went higher.
In those periods I used to wake up with a pulse of 48 and finish pranayama with a pluse of 56 or so... and since it was boring and didn't make me feel better or perform better as far as I could tell, and I was improving no matter what I did, I just dumped it.

The raised pulse might have been just due to waking up when I think about it.

Now I do no training. Though I might start again sometime.

Hi, resting pulse in the morning is now at 45, but while sitting doing Pranayama later
in the day,it's about 60 bpm. After 10 minutes
it settle down around 50 bpm. During the inhale retention even it falls to the 40's.

DeepTought, maybe you should try doing 6:24:12:0 or 5:20:10:0 trough alternate nostrils (inhale in one, exhale on the other, then change) and monitoring your pulse, mood, etc..

BTW, I went from 4.2l to 6.2l expiratory volume in just 1 and half year. The thing I did most was Pranayama and some swimming. Now,
near 7l. Or maybe I just learn to breath with full lungs? :-]
Any home-made way to measure residual volume? Would like to know my TLC

I never mesured my pulse while doing pranayama...I'll try and let you know!
I do pranayama like this:

1. 5:0:10 - 20 rounds
2. 2:0:1 - 12 rounds
3. 5:0:10 - 20 rounds
4. 5:5:10 - 40 rounds
5. 12:12:24 - 20 rounds
6. 5:0:10 - 20 rounds
7. 5:20:10 - 20 rounds

it all takes about 50 min.

Last edited:
One of the problems I have with pranayama is that my brain has nothing to do while doing it, just get bored and impatiance from repetitive meaningless work.

The other problem is keeping those cycles. Am I supposed to count or look at a clock? I know for a fact that those kind of functions affect my pulse, usally raises it since in rest it's below 60bpm, which is the clock's pace.

This is why when I messure my pulse I wait till the count is high enough to suggest a minute has passed and then take a glance at the clock till a minute really passes (I prefer that over doing 15seconds multiplations etc..).

I was thinking that maybe if I had some kid of music which had phases that fit those cycles I could "time" myself without changing my natural pace.
Any suggestions as to how to improve my pranayama technique?

Michael, perhaps this will help... I made this small program in VB last year so i don't have to watch the clock while doing it.

Attachments

• pranayama.zip
    61.6 KB · Views: 250
Thanks!
I tried going for it today, but one of my nostrils was just to stubborn to remain cloged.
Still not sure what to do with my attention all that time though.
And how to make myself do every phase (breathing and exhaling) in the time frame.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT