• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pranayama yoga (breathing yoga) excercises with MP3's

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

apnea newbie

May 26, 2001
Hi guys !

I just found a website with Breath yoga with Mp3's to go with it. I've just downloaded them so i really dont know the quality of them. But i will sure give them a shot and report back here.

The URL is : http://www.yogabasics.com/mainpage.html

If anyone tries them plz give me an oppinion on them. Thx in advance.

Happy diving all / Apnea Newbie

Hi Apnea Newbie,

The Url looks good and I'm glad that you are following up on Erik's suggestions. You might want to follow this lead as well
http://www.freediver.co.uk/finalsite/silent/frameset.htm . Look under techniques, there are some static and pranayama techniques. My suggestion is that you find a teacher. I have tried to learn stuff just from books or in this case the web, but perhaps its me, but I feel that it is way better in person. Besides what Eric has said about working on your level of relaxation and skills in your strokes you might want to do longer breath-ups, but as Erik said go easy with yourself. These are complicated skills, take time and learn them well.

Best wishes,

Freediver48

I've tried the MP3's

Hi all !

I tried the MP3's now, and i must say that i works for me.
After the excersises it feels like i can "use" my lungs better. It feels like i get much more air into them... and thats nice:p

I havent tried Pranayama before so... i dunno the real quality of these MP3's but i can say it worked for me, and the instructor on the tape was easy to follow, when doing the excersises.

Thx for the Tip Eric !

Cheers !

/ Apnea newbie

Tanya Streeter Perspective

I just interviewed Tanya last night for an upcoming article here on DeeperBlue, and I asked her about her training routine - she does NO Yoga at all... Basically she utilizes sound scientific training for both aerobic and anaerobic methods.

I thought that was quite interesting, especially in light of her recent world records that she just set.

Safe diving...

Hi Cliff !

I think that a persons training method is really individual. What works for me might not work for someone else and so on. The world recordholder for 50 m butterflyswimming (for ladies) is a swede and I read an article bout her that she hate water training :duh She does very little water training, what she do practise is boxing... yeah ! you heard me right boxing. :)

What I feel using the yoga is that i can breath much much deeper breaths, which really feels good. I havent raised my times under water yet, and the length im swimming, but who knows. Im stuck at 4 minutes stacic apnea and 75 meters dynamic :( Anyone got a training tip how to get far that level, please tell me...plz plz plz

Basically she utilizes sound scientific training for both aerobic and anaerobic methods.

Hey Cliff ! I promise you that you dont want to see me try aerobic training. Have you ever seen a whale get stuck on land? ;)
I think Aerobic is where i draw the line :)

Cheers Apnea Newbie

Hi Newbie,

The key is slowing down all functions, including O2 consumption.
Tell your body to slow down, tell it part by part and tell it twice.
Start at your feet and slow it all down, then your dynamics will start to resemble your statics. Slow down everything, including your initial jacknife until your retrurn to the surface. Try to surface slowly. Practice not taking a breath as you hit the surface, count your breathes at the surface before you breathe, try it slow and try it fast, run the clock, the turtle will win.

Best wishes,

FD48

Thx FD48

I know that one has to be relaxed to get good result.

try it slow and try it fast, run the clock, the turtle will win.

I got pooltraining on my schedule today so i will try turtle style, the whole day. and not taking breaths directly when reaching the surface.

I want to increase my underwater time when swimming but it looks like I have hit the wall:head But the turtle style might do it.

I can stay under for like 1min-1.10 minutes when swimming. But im a little bit curious, how long do all of u spearfishermen out there stay under ? It must be very important to be able to stay under for quite a time.

Cliff, and all you others out there, how long do you usually stay under for a "fishhunting dive" ?

The Curious Apnea Newbie :D

Apnea Newbie, I don't know how long spearos usually stay under water, but I remember reading about Pipin Ferreras. He started spear fishing from very young, and by the time he was 20 or something, in Cuba, he would dive down to 100ft, and wait at the entrance of a cave for big fish... for 4 minutes!! I can't remember where I read this, I stumbled onto it while searching freediving stuff, but it seemed like a reliable source.

As for extending your underwater time, you should also try diving deep, in the sea or lake or something. Some people believe that the mamalian diving reflex (slower heart rate, blood leaves extremities and goes to core etc) only really kicks in when you go below 10m.

You may have to practice a bit though. Even now when I start to get deep my hear rate increases because I'm getting excited. But I guess if you keep doing it, you will be able to avoid this excitement, and let your body do its thing.

Hope that helps!!

Terry

AMAZING

4 minutes at 100 feet. thats truly amazing. Thats a really long time. Though one must consider him a master.

As for extending your underwater time, you should also try diving deep, in the sea or lake or something. Some people believe that the mamalian diving reflex (slower heart rate, blood leaves extremities and goes to core etc) only really kicks in when you go below 10m.

Ok ! I'll try that,what keeps me from doing it is that I dont have a diving partner since I moved :( Im not scared of water, but i have respect for it when descending down to 8-20 meters. And the water up here have very very very bad visibility, which does it even harder to dive alone. Can one really train ones mammilian reflex to get stronger ??? Thats awesome if its working. I heard well traíned athletes have better mammilian reflexes than untrained persons. PErhaps i have to work on my overall fitness to take the diving to the next phase.

But next week, i have a vacation and im planning to dive with my former divingbuddy... Then we'll go deepdiving, not just lenghtdiving.

/Apnea Newbie

Last edited:
Reactions: Pekka
Hi Newbie,

When you are doing your pool training you need to have an active spotter. By active spotter I mean someone who is actually watching you, not hanging out at the pool checking out the scene, or a lifeguard, who sort of knows that you are doing laps underwater. A friend of mine had a shallow water black out last week doing just what you are doing trying to extend his dynamic.
I do not know if it is true or not, but I have seen quotes that more freedivers die in the pools than oceans, why, you guessed it shallow water black out. Be really careful with this. As for time,
try to think about something else, work on quality of experience, time will come. If you check out the performance freediving depth
records you will notice that a lot took around 2 minutes to do. Often the people doing these records have static times around 6 minutes. A similar question was asked on FDL earlier in the year and the most typical response was a maximum of 2 minutes, many considered 1 minute as a safe working length.

Best wishes, and dive safely,

Freediver48

Yoga & the Tanya Streeter Perspective

Cliff wrote the following concerning Tanya's training:
"I asked her about her training routine - she does NO Yoga at all... Basically she utilizes sound scientific training for both aerobic and anaerobic methods."

While yoga maybe considered non-scientific to some, the mechanisms of benefit are becoming more and more understood. The most commonly practiced type of pranayama yoga is the alternate nostril inhale(1unit):hold(4units):exhale(2units). A beginner practicing this may quickly develop better lung & diaphragm function, but intermediate to advanced divers will not benefit much from this exercise unless either they do it for a very long period each day, or do extremely long cycles (i.e. 16:64:32 or more).

This type of breathing induces 'cyclic hypoxia', also known as 'interval hypoxic training.' The hemoglobin O2 saturation rises and falls with each breath cycle, but it will only cycle up and down if the cycle time is long enough. During each inhale, the body goes through a reoxygenation phase, during which free radicals are formed. The body develops defense mechanisms against this, the two most important of which are an increase in the EPO hormone and a drastic increase in natural antioxidant production. The increase in EPO levels causes red blood cells to be produced, with a corresponding increase in hemoglobin and hematocrit (assuming essential nutrients including iron are present). The increase in hemoglobin and hematocrit increase the total oxygen storage capacity of the blood. A freediver with 'good blood' stores about 30-50% of his oxygen in his blood (the difference between good blood and bad blood is the equivalent of about 5 litres of air). The increase in natural antioxidants helps the body in the late stages of hypoxia, and if you look at the ATP cycle you'll find that elevated antioxidant levels can help retention of consciousness in the late stages of hypoxia. So, pranayama breathing, or other similar exercises, both increase the O2 storage capacity of the blood, and help you remain conscious in low oxygen.

The yogis will tell you that the reason for alternating nostrils is due to flows of prana--whether this has a scientific basis is still in question...

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Magic

It's been said in the past,"Tomorrow's science is today's magic". Yogis have been practicing for thousands of years, because of the awareness of what's going on in their bodies and minds. Science is just now beginning to be able to explain the benefits of yoga, and exercise in general. I'm sure the yogis have a chuckle when some scientist "proves" that his techniques have benefited people for a few thousand years.
A practiced freediver knows what is happening in his or her body; not necessarily in the scientific sense, but certainly at some state of awareness. This is part of the attraction for freediving, to me.
It's nice to have scientific proof of the techniques we like to use, and to be able to use that science to better ourselves, but lack of empirical proof should not stop us from using what we know .
A lot of the great spearfisherman don't know any science, they just dive. Go on the Freedive list, and you will see people asking what a "contraction" is. That doesn't mean they are not good divers. Seals and Dolphins just dive, they don't think about breathing.
With that said, I think it's a good idea to be open to all forms of knowledge, whether it comes from outside or inside.:)
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Where are the mp3´s?

I can´t found the mp3´s on that page :waterwork can anyone give me a valid URL to try them?

I don´t know if Tanya Streeter does or not Yoga exercises, but I´ve seen many photos where she´s making belly breathing techniques sitting in Yoga manner... so, this is definetively Yoga don´t you?

Congratulations to Tanya for her record

The MP3s are available here. Available as a free MP3 download, or you can buy the cd. To find the link you had to use the search feature, took me a while to find em too ;)

Matt

The only free mp3 is the first one, isn´t it? I can´t download for free the others...

Thank you

Nah, they're all there, just not on the first page. Click the link next to the "BUY IT" option for the cd. Lists all of em.

Matt

Actually it seems only the first track is available, which is a bit stupid considering it's just someone speaking the stuff it says on the MP3 description.

Maybe some of the people that have managed to get these MP3s would care to tell us how they got them?

Matt

Yeah listened to the intro MP3, don't think I could stand listening to the rest of em anyway ;)

Matt

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT