• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Prepping for max dynamics

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pezman

We pee deep. Ew!
Sep 24, 2002
There have been dozens of posts on warm-up routines for max statics. However, I don't recall ever seeing anything comparable for dynamics.

Oddly enough, I seem to do best when I just breathe up (kind of like for a first static in a session) and then go for it w/ no other preparation.

Another approch that seems to be about as good is to do a few wet statics until you feel a good blood shift and then breathe up and go for it.

Any other ideas on this?

Hi Pez
I usually do 2 or 3 short dynamics (25 mts) very slow and calm, then rest and breath-up for 6 mins a go for it!!

usually negativ dynamics with increasing holds at the beginning for +-20m do best for me. I do about 3 of them and then breath up for 5min. but very often we do max. dynamics after different training forms of dynamic. so the preparation isn't always ideal.

yours pat

Reactions: Pezman
This works best for me:
- 10 to 15 minutes of relaxation and easy statics (dry)
- about 5 minutes of empty lung statics, with one or two recovery breaths in between, no hard struggles
- 2 minutes of breathing up & concentrating in the water (the cold sensation of getting into the water in a relaxed state seems to help a lot)
- about 8 packs and go......

So no wet preparation which leaves me with fresh muscles without lactic acid when I go for the max.

Fred S.

Hi Pezman,

I only do one dynamic early in my workout, so I'm no expert, but doing a minute or so of mask off breathing underwater plus a series of 4 or 5 negatives to the bottom of the pool kicks in the blood shift and makes a huge difference in distance. I follow the negatives with 2-3 minutes of fast inhale/15 second exhale to get my heart rate down, purge 4 times and go. This is all adapted from PF clinic stuff and surely could be improved on if going for a max, but the idea seems to work.

Connor

Thanks!

I tried a 3:00 breatheup (fast in, slow out on 15 second cycle), went for it and hit a new PB of 100 yds. I had plenty of reserve when I pulled up, but figured why push it. I'll go for 125 once I can do 100 consistently.

At any rate, thanks for the help. I'd karminate each and every one of you, but the karma system insists that I spread it around a bit. I think that the database was designed by communists :hmm. Maybe my comerades will toss you some karma on my behalf.

These preparations are all similar in a lot of ways and I think that the key is minimal warm up of the legs in order to keep blood from being diverted to them for as long as possible. The warm-ups that involve statics and negatives probably help to make for a longer delay than just jumping in w/ no warmup. My guess is that folks who have a high aerobic threshold and limited anaerobic capacity might require a little extra blood flow during the activity and benefit from a slight warm-up.

I'm going to toss in a few statics and see if it helps.

Thanks again.

Hi Pez,

Glad to see your report and that the breath up worked so well. You are ahead of me (but not by much)
Were you also doing some negatives? I had thought that the negatives were more important than the breathing pattern. maybe not.

thanks again

Connor

Connor,

No negatives on this trial. I just wanted to keep it simple initially and take the essence of the recommendations, which I think is "get breathed up and do little or no vigorous movement before the dynamic".

I wanted to come up at 75, but I forced myself to turn and started hurrying back to the other end . As I did, the urge to breathe declined some and I made it easily.

No problems on surfacing and didn't get even a hint of that "i'm gonna samba" feeling underwater. No burn in the legs either.

I suspect that the ideal warmup is going to vary a little from person to person. Since I didn't have any hint of lactic acid in the legs after the effort, I plan throw the negatives in next time to get a little more blood in the core and see if it helps.

Thanks again for the encouragement. I was pretty sure that 100+ was in me, but I'm not so sure I would have gotten it w/o the support.

Last edited:
Doing the negatives makes my legs burn like crazy coming up on 75, but the urge to breath is much less. I think that is the blood shift.

Good luck and Keep us posted

Connor

Originally posted by Pezman
Connor,

No negatives on this trial. I just wanted to keep it simple initially and take the essence of the recommendations, which I think is "get breathed up and do little or no vigorous movement before the dynamic".

I wanted to come up at 75, but I forced myself to turn and started hurrying back to the other end . As I did, the urge to breathe declined some and I made it easily.

No problems on surfacing and didn't get even a hint of that "i'm gonna samba" feeling underwater. No burn in the legs either.

I suspect that the ideal warmup is going to vary a little from person to person. Since I didn't have any hint of lactic acid in the legs after the effort, I plan throw the negatives in next time to get a little more blood in the core and see if it helps.

Thanks again for the encouragement. I was pretty sure that 100+ was in me, but I'm not so sure I would have gotten it w/o the support.

Keep up the good work Pez, i wish you luck... Are you doing some easy statics before the dynamics??

Ive been trying a few different warm ups recently. I do about ten minutes of physical stretching on the pool side followed by about five minutes of slow relaxed breathing. I then do three or four exhale statics either on the pool side or the bottom. Doing these statics on the bottom definatelly improves the diving repsponses and reduces the urge to breath far into the dynamic but I agree with Connor that it makes your legs BURNNNN more.

One problem I have with the warm up statics on the bottom is keeping warm. I might take a wetsuit in just for the warm up next time.

Matt

hey pez!

congratulations for the 100m dynamic! you are always invited to join us for a training in pool (we even got 50m lucky -we) or open water! keep up the negatives and let us know when you get more exp. with it!

yours pat

Reactions: stevevidar
Can anybody tell me what the advantage is or the theory behind doing empty lung statics (with or without fighting fase ) for a max dynamic ???

I am confused by these latest remarks. I always thought that because in dynamic the CO2 buildup goes extremely fast (compared to a motionless static state) , that it would be benificial to do full lung statics e.g. with one breath inbetween or other hypercapnic form, to work on the CO2 tollerance, before a max dynamic. I also thought that doing empty lung statics , would give you an O2 debt in your muscles and that would not be very good to start your max dynamic with. (with , as some people already mentioned "burning legs" as a result)
I always thought (untill now) that negatives would only be a good preparation for deep diving (to get used to higher lung pressure, without taxing your muscles by going to the real depth).

I'm pretty much in your camp. but I don't have any experience to back it up.

I think that the rationale is to get blood shifted away from the legs and into the core. To do this, I think that you could do very brief empty lung statics.

Where I practice, the pool is hardly deep enough to bother w/ empty lung dives, so I'll probably skip this particular recommendation. I get enough of a shift after a few regular statics anyway.

... edited for spelling ..

Last edited:
Glenn, my idea is that the exhale statics are more efficient for bringing the body in a hypoxic state than inhale statics. During those inhale statics the comfort phase is useless so minutes of prepping are wasted. Being hypoxic kind of sqeezes the spleen to release more RBC's which can carry more O2. I don't like to fight hard during the prepping because I get frustrated and don't have any strength left to fight during my dynamic.

CO2 tolerance is not something to aquire in a couple of minutes, but is done over a period of time by doing CO2-tables.

Exhale statics won't give you an O2 debt, cause muscles are not really active and are not using the anaerobic system / producing lactic acid.

Fred

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT