• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pretty shrimp

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gonetobaja

Nov 26, 2003

Attachments

• picture 144.jpg
    picture 144.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 397
wow! that is an amazing photo! and a beautiful shrimp.
will look that one up... hmmm....
how big is it? about 1 inch?

gonetobaja... had a look through my book.. .can't find this shrimp. i am intrigued.. it's beautiful.. will keep looking for the name.

keeping send in those pics.. they are wonderful.

It was about 1 inch long and I put it in a small aquarium and took a pic of it. I dont know what it is called. I found it in the northern sea of cortez.

I say we name it on this site...

How about the orange spotted, blue legged, white faced disco shrimp?

Id bet ya 5 bucks its not in any books...

Attachments

• picture 145.jpg
    picture 145.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 378
gotobaja,
Since you live close by, I think you ought to take some pix down to Scripps and have them take a look at it. That ought to clarify its little self . . . might even be a new species. Then they could name it after you, say cameronabonita gotobajaensis. :D

My god... lol its a fashion shr(p)imp!n HAHAHA rofl
Kinda looks like its a white shrimp wearing a japanese kimono...

cool thing! you must have been looking very carefully to find a inch long shrimp from the bottom... Cool photos.. I would say it looks like it would glow in the dark.. did you try? :)

Pekka

Dosent glow. I found another thing that I just call the blob. I let him go in my aquarium and I see him every 3 or 4 months. That thing is day-glo orange. Ill take a pic of him if he comes out again.

When I am in the water, as most of you know, the closer I look the more I see. The beauty of the ocean is in the details...

I have spent a tank in a 10x10 patch of reef just laying on the bottom and looking into every hiding spot there was. The enchanted Islands in northern baja have so much weird stuff. I need to get me one of those real good underwater digitals.

The problem is, the tides are extreme at the islands and they are only diveable twice a month for 2 or 3 days. But thats why there is so much life under the water.

Getting tanks is tough out here also, you have to bring your own. I freedive mostly so sometimes I will sit in 3 ft of water at the top of a seamount and just lay in the water for a couple of hours and watch the show.

Then someone will want a ham sandwich...

GTB
http://www.gonetobaja.com

"When does the guide come out of the water?...":confused:

Attachments

• picture 135.jpg
    picture 135.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 329
I hear ya. I've spend hours flipping over rocks in the sea of cortez on low tide. The fish and invertabrates are amazing. Just watch out for the bristle worms. If I ever get back I'll try watching them in action too. It is really different than any other place I've seen.

Bumblebee Shrimp

hey gonetobaja

was looking through my Crusteaceans book last night... i think it's a bumblebee shrimp..
well get the scientific name in a minute.

will check out your website today :cool:

found it

i think/...

Attachments

• bumblebee shrimps2.jpg
    bumblebee shrimps2.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 301
Jeez Sara.

How many shrimps are there in that book?

That one at the top of the page looks mad :D

Are they all edible or is there a "Death Shrimp" in there?

The book is

Crustacea Guide of the World, by Helmut Debelius

it's an amazing book... all and the known/described species of crustacea are in there with colour pics of each one.

you can get it on Amazon.com

how's it going?

I am doing really well Sara.

You still bogged down with work?

I am only really interested in the edible ones really :p

Tienes un libro de ALMEJAS? :D

I knew you guys would be able to find out the answer!!

Thanks alot Island Sands!!
That sure is one hell of a shrimp book.

So much for naming my first ever discovered shrimp species....

I still like disco or shr(p)imp shrimp.

Although it flys around the water like a little bee.

Im gonna have to find something else to post now.

Im leaving again on Wed for a 5 day island trip and we are bringing a top quality underwater video camera, maybe I can get some stills from the cameraman.

GTB

"Ok no more checkpoints for 1hr, grab that 6pack..."

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT