• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Prices for Diving Bikini Atoll

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
i got some prices back.. NO SHARK DIVING , only wreck diving :confused:
get this...exhorbitant.

Basically the pricing for 2004 WRECK DIVING (no shark diving) is as follows:
US$2,850.00 [a $300.00 nonrefundable deposit is required to confirm your reservation]. (holy sh1t)

For a group of 10 confirmed divers the price is $2,200.00 per diver and the 11th diver is free [The most we can take in a week is 11 divers]. For a group of 8 confirmed divers the price for a week is $2,500.00 per diver. One week of non-dive is $1600.00.

The above price does *not* include:

* All airfares
* Hotel while in Majuro for the first night. Outrigger Hotel and Robert Reimers Hotel are available
for divers to stay while in Majuro.
* Meals while in Majuro.
* Gratuities
* Our head divemaster offers a video of your dives at the end of your
week on Bikini (VHS at $ 85.00 per copy) (gee thanks)

please bring cash as Credit Cards are not accepted on Bikini.

Is the Bikini Atoll still affected by radiation? I know it was many years ago, but are there any visible effects?

fish are all healthy there! its where they caught the world record 19000 lb tuna, it spoke fluent english too I heard lol. sorry :) I belive the atol is fine where ever you're allowd to dive; there's 70 years of untouched diving there! with most of the radiation diluted in the sea, guess its some of the best diving in the world. If you can aford it go! If not go To Jeddah!

Reactions: Pastor
see the marshall islands official site website.. it explains the whole radiation thing. actually the people who originated from bikini atoll have still not been repatriated. the only people there are the US government (some kind of research), Bikini Atoll Divers and a couple of other "bodies".
it has not returned to being a residential atoll yet...
http://www.rmiembassyus.org/

Thanks for the site sands, i just did a report on the bikini atoll's nuclear testing, this site was interesting. WHat's the diving like there? I wish i could eventually visit places like that, and the carribean.

i actually haven't dived there myself, would like to but when i saw the prices... :( i wanted to go there mainly to see the sharks but in this particular package they don't offer it.
i think i remember seeing earlier on in the forums somewhere that someone had been there.. was it donmoore?

Has anyone dived here recently? I am thinking about doing a trip down there later this year or early next.

Reactions: Pastor
Flights resumed on 17 March (all planes were grounded fro August last year due to engine problems and corroded landing gear)
The plane that does Bikini is running and the other 2 aircraft are still grounded.
I was speaking to the guys out there a couple of weeks ago and the diving is still fantastic :)

Flights resumed on 17 March (all planes were grounded fro August last year due to engine problems and corroded landing gear)
The plane that does Bikini is running and the other 2 aircraft are still grounded.
I was speaking to the guys out there a couple of weeks ago and the diving is still fantastic :)

hey thanks Gordon. Have you done any more good trips that you can recommend, South Pacific way?

Truk and Palau are still big favourites of mine, I keep meaning to try Yap but it is still on my list.

Vanuatu is fantastic... and off Chile and Equador, Easter Island and Galapagos.

But best of all is Scapa Flow :)))

Truk and Palau are still big favourites of mine, I keep meaning to try Yap but it is still on my list.

Vanuatu is fantastic... and off Chile and Equador, Easter Island and Galapagos.

But best of all is Scapa Flow :)))

Scapa flow... noo brrr i am still a cocktail diver after all these years. thanks for the info Gordon, all the best.
Sara

I know some divers organising a trip there and some people who have been so i'll post some info next week.

In answer to this

Is the Bikini Atoll still affected by radiation? I know it was many years ago, but are there any visible effects?

I saw a program once where the expert was asked that exact question. He repeated with something like 'well lets put it this way you should be safe unless you ate lots of the sand'

Hope that helps :confused:

Reactions: island_sands

I just watched a documentary on this subject named "Radio Bikini." It explains that there are very high levels of Cesium-137 embedded in the soil, food, and fish. The island is still uninhabited because the US deemed it unsafe to depend on the islands resources. I.e. coconuts, fish, and anything grown in the soil. It is a very tragic and terrifying story.
Anyway, yes, it is still affected by radiation.

I looked into going about 8 years ago, when I was still interested in tech diving, and they guides told me that they fly in all of their food from off the island. There wasn't a problem with radioactivity from just hanging out and diving, but you didn't want to eat locally grown food.

I remember there being some pretty tight restrictions on weight limits for what was allowed- meaning I couldn't bring my scooter with me. The was also no helium available on the island at the time.

Jon

hmm. Will that affect divers? if the liveaboards are providing food that is not grown locally....

The food is really good, everything is shipped in - nothing is grown there other than coconuts and the only radioactivity problem is the caesium in the soil (that plants absorb due to it being similar to Potassium)

The only effect on divers on the island (there are no live aboards) is that they put on weight due to the good food :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT