• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Problem with D3 SUUNTO

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

subaquaticus

Fond of the Red Sea
Oct 10, 2004
Mid January, I had a problem with my Suunto D3 : I was training in a swimming pool 1.80 m deep but there was no triggering of diving time !

I had bought this D3 in February last year in Paris and had had up to now no problem with it.

My retailer in Paris took my D3 and sent it to SUUNTO France ; he lent me a MOSQUITO while waiting...

SUUNTO France sent it to Finland and it took 2 months to have it back in Paris...

I took my D3 last Saturday back and had my first training in a swimming pool last Friday... Apparently it was as if nothing had been done... I tested it at 3 m depth with no success !

Has somebody experienced the same with SUUNTO ?

Thanks God, the Mosquito lent by my retailer works well...

I have problem with mosquito. Occassionaly it does not sense depth at all. It does not go into freediving mode - it stays in time mode even at depth. I can recover it by taking battery out and putting it back in. It also recovers when contacts dry out. I am not quite sure what is the cause of this. It seems to happen after/during my (surface) swimming training.
During swimming sessions mosquito does get immersed at around treshold depth 0.5m fairly often. It is also subject to more vibrations when swimming. I remeber that I could reset dive timer by knocking the watch with a finger.

It does not cause me too much trouble as I can recover it....but something is not quite right.

octopus said:
During swimming sessions mosquito does get immersed at around treshold depth 0.5m fairly often. It is also subject to more vibrations when swimming. I remember that I could reset dive timer by knocking the watch with a finger.

threshold : at what depth does your mosquito start dive timer ? as far as I could see, my D3 (before last January) started at 1.20 m...

I often trained in a pool with 1.80 m depth... when I do my turn, my left wrist goes above this limit while my right wrist stays under at the bottom of the pool...

then When I had my D3 at my left wrist, there was an interruption in dive timing ; when I had it at my right wrist, there was no interruption in dive timing...

After reflexion : can my problem of depth sensing be connected with a low battery ?

My D3 spent 2 months at SUUNTO in Finland ; if the problem was a low battery were not SUUNTO's technicians able to detect it and change them prior to any further investigation ?

Isn't there a LOW BAT indicator on any D3 SUUNTO ?

I am on my forth D3... 10 out of 10 for function but minus several million for reliability! :hmm

Almostafish said:
I am on my forth D3... 10 out of 10 for function but minus several million for reliability! :hmm

thanks for your contribution... can you tell in what conditions you were able to switch from one D3 to the other one ?

Did your retailer replace your defectuous instrument for free without any fuss ? or did you have trouble getting your point ?

My retailer is reluctant to admit that my D3 is defectuous.. He tries to imply that I do not know how to use it in a proper way !

Last edited:
Do you own a D3 or a Mosquito ?

Mosquito. But I think they have similar/same chipset inside.

Have you pointed Suunto to this web page and all the links containing D3 problems?

D3's are known to be unreliable. I had no trouble replacing mine each time as it was clearly not working as it should. Email Suunto and tell them your problem and I am sure that they will help.

Dont take any shit off dealers!

B.

A couple more things...D3's do have a low battery indicator at the bottom of the screen ( looks like a battery ) and the best way to look after your D3 is not to wear it all the time, shower, washing cars ect but just when you use it.....it took me a long time to work that one out! :duh

Almostafish said:
D3's are known to be unreliable. I had no trouble replacing mine each time as it was clearly not working as it should. Email Suunto and tell them your problem and I am sure that they will help.

Dont take any shit off dealers!

B.

There are 3 levels :

1. retailer :

in Paris, this is a big shop dedicated to scuba diving, but they are not so much interested in freediving... the salesmen do not understand anything in this area..

2. distributor in France : apparently his role seems purely commercial...

3. SUUNTO in Finland

the whole solution of the problem is in the hands of the retailer ; he makes the decision to do or not the exchange...

This morning I called directly SUUNTO in Finland and they were at the same time surprised and sorry for this incident, in particular, that it should last so long...

Up to now, the retailer implies that I do not know how to use the D3 properly !!

at what depth does your mosquito start dive timer ?

It starts/stops dive timer at around 1.1-1.2m (no noticable hysteresis).

It switches into freediving mode at around 0.7-0.8m.

When already in freediving mode, it starts/stops measuring depth at around 0.4-0.5m.

Thank you SUUNTO Finland...

They took the decision to send me a new D3, and then my problem is solved !

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT