• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pulse/Oximeter use in training

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ADR

Jan 21, 2004
Hi,

After a year of limited improvements to my performances despite having logged every training session and attempting to analyse why the improvements are so slight, I 've now decided to take a more scientific approach to my training and am very interested in what benefits can be gained from the use of pulse/oximeters and how people are using them in both training sessions and also how the results are being used to customise subsequent training sessions. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone also know where you can buy one over the internet?

ADR

Oximeter

Go to a site called mhoxygen.com and read the articles. The pulse oximeter has come down in price recently. The site is about supplemental oxygen for general aviation but the point is the oxygenation of the blood. John S

You can get pulse oximeters, capnographs, blood analyzers, spirometers, volume monitors, oxygen analyzers, glucose analyzers, transcutaneous monitors, and indirect calorimeters all off of ebay, at far lower cost than any second hand shop. My personal collection includes three pulse oximeters, two capnographs, three oxygen analyzers, one volume monitor, one spirometer, one transcutaneous monitor, and two blood analyzers (almost all purchased off of ebay). By using the oxygen analyzers, capnographs and volume monitor, I built a make-shift indirect calorimeter as well.

See the related thread on the 3'30" test for pulse oximeters. Note also that there are several different 'generations' of pulse oximeters. Of the 1st generation, the Ohmeda is very inaccurate, and the Physio-control Lifestat 1600 is by far the most accurate. Of the 2nd generation, the most accurate are the Nellcor N-395, Nellcor N-595, Masimo Radical, and Ohmeda 3800 & 3900. The Masimo Radical with the earclip sensor is the most accurate of all oximeters, followed closely by the Nellcor N-595 with the forehead sensor.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Thanks Eric, I don't suppose you would be interested in selling me one of your older but reliable pulse/oximeter units?
The Aussie dollar is fairly well pegged against the Canadian dollar which makes for happy transactions.

Regards

Andy

My spare oximeters are currently on loan to training buddies! But I'm sure you can find one on ebay easily.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Thanks Eric for all the info, I'll go hunting on ebay and see how I go. I tried finding the thread you referred to relating to the "3:30 test" but didn't have much luck....was it called that or did it have another name.

thanks

Andy
Sydney

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT