• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pulse/Oximeter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kingohyes

Aug 17, 2003
Hi im wondering which pulse/oximeter is best.. according to www.masimo.com/CPUB/VIDEO2.HTM they have evidence showing that their pulse/oximeter is better than the nellcor n-595, 395 and other pulse/oximeters.. So im wondering if the Masimo SET pulse/oximeter is the best pulse/oximeter out there today???

The answer is YES. However, many companies make oximeters with masimo technology. For example, the Ohmeda 2000 and the Quartz Q400 use Masimo SET technology (and Masimo SET probes). I have a Masimo Radical (with SET), Quartz Q400 (with SET), Ohmeda 3700 (no SET), Ohmeda 3900P (no SET), and Physio-Control Lifestat 1600 (no SET). Both my SET oximeters work much better than the rest of the pack.

The best oximeters are the SET oximeters with the forehead sensor probe.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Thanks Eric... Is there a specific oximeter you would recommend? Im thinking about buying one...

I am also interested.

Where can one purchase these things online?

What is the general pricerange?

Why are the ones with the forehead sensor probe the best ones?

I did a search on ebay for the SET oximeter, and I only found the forehead sensors and so on for the SET oximeter.. However I found quite a few Nellcor oximeters at ebay. But I want a more accurate oximeter which is using the SET technology.

I did quite a bit of studying this subject about 9 months ago, and some how lost my notes. But if you notice, the Masimo study referred to my Masimo in their web site has no date. Seems I found that it’s about 6 years old. Since then, I believe, most top oximeter companies have improved their software and accuracies whether they did it in-house or by buying it from Masimo.

If I were going to buy one, I would seriously consider the Minolta PULSOX with memory and a way to print it out or download to a computer. It very portable, accurate, and has alarm down to 50% SaO2 so you could set it and no when its time to end your apnea. It’s a new generation designed to be worn by athletes in motion, so you could us during dynamic walks, etc. too. You could even use it bike riding. Who knows, maybe you could be the next Lance Armstrong! :D

Frank O'Donnell owns one.
don :cool:

I forgot to add, they have different sensors available. Frank, I believe, got an accessory ear sensor. I don’t know if they have a true forehead sensor, but I think they have generic sensors that you can tape to just about any part of the body.
don

What is that thing? Heart beat and oxygen measurment device?

Is it possible to estimate blackout situation from remaining oxygen in the brain?

Eric & Don,
wonder if you could please share some of you knowledge on oximeters?
I've been checking out ebay and there are indeed a lot of oximeters going.
There seems to be quite a few Nellcor n100, n200 & n180's going from $20 - $200 or so. From what I've read the n180 is the newest and smallest so would by my pick out of those 3. Are these any good, ie would they be more accurate compared to the old Ohmeda's?
Also seen some cheap nellcor 3000's, but can't find much info on them. I just found out they do have a serial port. Would these be any better then the n180's ?

The n395 is a bit out of my price range at the moment, or would be my first choice. I will be going for an ear sensor. Even on my friends Ohm-3700, the readings with an ear sensor were way more accurate then the finger sensor. Much less delay but also the %SaO2 didn't seem to read as low a figure at the end of a breathold. ie for me read %55 after a 7.03 static, I still felt I had 10-15 seconds left in me. I also did a 2.35 exhale static (reverse packing) right up to the edge, and it read %41. So if it read too low I don't think it was out by more then %10 or so at a guess.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Wal

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT