• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pulse trawling in the EU: Is it ok to 'electrocute' fish?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I heard a debate on this on I think Radio 2 a while back, the dutch are saying that by electrocuting they are leaving the bottom untouched and so undamaged whilst British fishermen are saying that its just a way of gathering more fish quickly and will deplete whatever stocks we have left! My opinion is that fishing quotas should be reduced full stop if we want fish stocks in the future, there is no way that the current situation is sustainable. I don't think we need more effective and efficient fishing methods, it could well be to fish what explosive harpoons were to whales and look how well that went. I sometimes think that we humans are so short sighted, arrogant and greedy that we will kind of get what we deserve, reap what you sow and all that :D:banghead::(

I heard a debate on this on I think Radio 2 a while back, the dutch are saying that by electrocuting they are leaving the bottom untouched and so undamaged whilst British fishermen are saying that its just a way of gathering more fish quickly and will deplete whatever stocks we have left! My opinion is that fishing quotas should be reduced full stop if we want fish stocks in the future, there is no way that the current situation is sustainable. I don't think we need more effective and efficient fishing methods, it could well be to fish what explosive harpoons were to whales and look how well that went. I sometimes think that we humans are so short sighted, arrogant and greedy that we will kind of get what we deserve, reap what you sow and all that :D:banghead::(

I agree, agree, agree. And i have no interest in being a spearo. Just a fish :) by 2048 if we continue almost all fish stocks will be on verge of or fully collapsed! :(

I have not heard of this fishing method before. How does the electricity effect the marine life? Does it only stun it, does it kill it?
I mean, there is plenty of life on the ocean smaller than fish, but that is crucial for the well-being of the bigger animals.

I have not heard of this fishing method before. How does the electricity effect the marine life? Does it only stun it, does it kill it?
I mean, there is plenty of life on the ocean smaller than fish, but that is crucial for the well-being of the bigger animals.

Yes, the food web is all interconnected in ways we are only beginning to "fathom" (pun intended). I would imagine that electricity, being more easily transmitted by water (e.g. electric eels and electric rays use amperage to stun/kill prey) that it would be incredibly disruptive. I think the main concern is that we are devising more and more ways to deplete resources faster than they were ever meant to (i'm on a soapbox here). I dont eat animals, so I am trying to do my part. I just hope I can get to freedive in these oceans before we fish them dry! :(

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT