• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Punching Holes in the Ear Area of your Wetsuit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

EcchiK

Feb 6, 2008
I can't remember where I read it or why it was suggested but I want to confirm with the folks here on what they do and the benefits/downsides of their choice. So....

Do you modify your wetsuit to make equalising easier? Why or why not? And what do you do, how do you do it?

Reactions: Mr. X
I don't do it, I just make sure there is some water trapped in that area when I start diving. In cold water I use Docs Proplugs or cotton to limit water transfer.
I think the best way to do it, if you do it, is to use a soldering gun.

Ok, I understand that part for sure but for me, the water seems to escape from my head area. I was using the suit in the pool a couple days ago and when ascending all the left over air in my suit tends to go to my head. I guess it's not bad on the ascent but it basically means on my next dive I'll have a hood full of air.

Some suits have a small hole in the top of the hood to help vent the suit. My current suit didn't but I put one there as I found it hard to vent the air from my suit after entering the water. I have never had a suit that came with holes in the hood over the ears but I have made them in some of my suits. What determins this seems to be the design and fit of the hood. My current MTM suit is a snug fit and while I found it okay for freediving when I used it for scuba I found the hood did affect ear clearing so I added some holes. Melting the holes to seal the edges seems best and as suggested I used a soldering iron.

Dave.

Hello EcchiK,

I second Erik's comments about Doc's Pro-Plugs, they are the shiznit!

I find they make equilizing while wearing a hood much, much easier (I often used to struggle to clear my ears when wearing a hood). Simply let a bit of water into your hood/ears at the outset of your dive and you are good to go. The only down-side is somewhat reduced hearing on the surface.

Personally, after I received my beautifully tailored elios suit in the mail any idea of punching holes in it went out the window.

The other option for helping equilization/avoid suit squeeze, which I read about on DB, is to put a thin cord around your head under the hood. Apparently, the cord allows water to penetrate to your ears easier. I tried this method and it ended up being a hassle with little perceived benefit. Anyway, once I received my plugs the cord was history.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver, Canada

ps. you want the diving model of plugs, that have holes

Last edited:
I was suposed to try this with a hot needle. but after forgetting to do it at home , I ended up doing it with a dive knife :) 3-4 months ago. I am really happy with it. the water sips inn and it helps my ears when equalising.
one drop of glue and the suit is as good as new.. so no really problem in trying it .
good luck.

I did mine with a hot pin. I simply put on my suit, marked where my ear canals are with a marker (black on black was hard to see but it worked), removed the suit and heated a pin over a flame, then just melted a tiny tiny hole on each side. It's so small that I can't really feel any water, but all I really needed was some way for a bit of water to flow through and I can equalise just fine.

What JennyWren said is exactly right. Without ear holes in your hood you can get ear squeezes that you won't feel until later when you're out of the water. I've found the best tool to make holes is a thick paperclip- heated to red hot. Use a sharpie or something similar to mark the spots when the hood is on, then take it off and poke the holes. Your ears will thank you. :)

Never really worked for me, I just pull my hood out a bit at around 15m down and it's OK from there... if cold! depends on the suit but always found I've had to do it with Elios suits as hoods tend to be pretty tight

I just pull my hood out a bit at around 15m down and it's OK from there... if cold!

Same here, though I've not got round to actually trying holing the hood, and I pull my hood out at the start of the dive, anywhere between surface and 5m.

I suffer from the same problem. My suit turns into a balloon, especially the hood and it annoys the FACK outta me!, but when i let water in my hood it just runs down my neck and sits on my shoulder then i get cold.. *sniff* *sniff* So just to clarify, we put the suit on, Mark ear locales, melt holes with fat paper clip(if i did it with a dive knife id probably sneeze and cut the hood off), and carry on. Why would you need to use the diving ear plugs than? I understand that its designed to minimize cold water being pushed against the ear but is that it? Im sure im over analyzing this cause im afraid to put holes in my beauchat suit. And no, im not a pussy Erik. That bitch wasnt cheap! :)

Haha, I remember the feeling-- "I'm supposed to punch holes in my new suit?! No way..."

If you punch the holes you don't need the ear plugs unless you want to use them. I never have. If you decide the hole is in the wrong place or something you can always plug it up w/ neoprene glue and it'll be good as new.

i am using beuachat mondial suit and i do not have hole but i am not facing any problem with air or equalizing! dunno if it is the same case with all suits, or maybe i have the problem and i do not realize that :D

If I do punch holes in my suit will I get more ear aches? The water up here is pretty Damn cold especially around this time of year.

Gates if you do it, put half a cotton ball in each ear. It'll stop water from flowing to much- even help with equalizing.
Now get out there and kill something brother ;)

I’ve put a few holes in the hood of one of my suits, a friend of mine told me about hood squeeze half way through a dive after I said I was having trouble equalizing and I got so pi**ed off with it I took my dive knife to the ear area, been spot on ever since.:)

Reactions: Mr. X
I haven't holed my hood. I sometimes (rarely) deliberately let water into the hood but that can get pretty darn cold & aggravate my ears. It usually doesn't seem to be a problem but I don't dive real deep - 12m tops.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT