• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Push/no [push?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

reidfish

TheSnapperWhisperer
Jun 12, 2002
Hi guys, can anyone tell me how to set up my camera to 'push' a film?

I mean, I understand it is in the developing - develop it a bit more, stuff gets lighter.

BUT, in practicality, does this simply mean that I should set my Nikonos V to 200 film when I am using 100 film and continue as I would normally, and just tell the film developers to push it 1 step?

thanks

I mean, I understand it is in the developing - develop it a bit more, stuff gets lighter.

BUT, in practicality, does this simply mean that I should set my Nikonos V to 200 film when I am using 100 film and continue as I would normally, and just tell the film developers to push it 1 step?

I don't understand the term "push" but I'm not too hip on 35mm photo. I'm more reproduction photo. Is this a standard 35mm trick?

Overdeveloping will "burn" or "bump" the photo. Is this the "push?"

I haven't done it for 30 years. For ektachrome? 160 the standard 'push' was to 400. By doing your own slides, you could get a very nice grain at 1000. Never could find a filter to get a good color balance tho. Heck you can probably buy film fast enough now.
I think you should try to talk to the person that will develop the film. Some films are better than others and there used to be standard processing available.
Bill

Originally posted by reidfish

thanks

That's exactly what you tell them - push one stop development - usually costa little extra though - depending on the film and development, you do lose some quality - Dmax tends to fall a tad, but isn't nearly as bad as if it were a 2 stop push.

I myself quit shooting film 3 years ago and haven't regretted it - well, almost . I moved to a couple of Olympus consumer digital cameras in housings and have found the results to be equal - but I have been shooting for over 20 years, so certain skills I developed were easily transferred over to shooting digital. The only negative aspect right now is the shutter lag - I have had to really develop my skills in anticipating the shot and depressing the shutter before the actual photo I want takes place. Takes some practice, but I only miss shooting film in large format now (aka - Zone System B/W, 4x5 field camera, etc)

Thanks Cliff.
Hell, there I was all keen for a great weekend, and it's been blowing strongly from the east every weekend day for a month now! It's driving me absolutely nuts.

Will see how it works out when I do try it. I think the digital lag would drive me more bonkers than the rough water, so I'll stick with what I've got for now I think.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT