• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Putting fast-twitch fibers to good use?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Merlin

Feb 28, 2005
I've gotten interested in slow vs fast-twitch fibers and a lot of the threads here have been very informative. However I have not found how to actually make good use of what your own body has to offer. I have been doing heavy lifting for a long time (not that it shows anyway :eek:) and unknowingly I have been trainning for fast-twitch fibers. I have a lot of power but not much endurance when it comes to upper body. Now my question is... should I be swimming in a certain way to make the best use of my body? I have read that fast-twitch is somewhat related to improved vertical jump but I am having a hard time translating this into swimming style. Does it mean I need to swim faster with more repetitive powerful strokes?

Thanks!

are you talking about swimming or freediving? with or without fins? mono or bifin?

roland

Oops sorry, I was referring to dynamics without and with monofins. But mainly dynamics no fins.

i assume you know already that only a certain amount of slow twitch fibers can be converted to fast twitch. but to do so you'd certainly need to train somewhere in the 90 % of max range. at the moment i'm quite happy with doing very short (25m) sprints with short recoveries. that allows me to do more laps per training, technique is better since during that short distance i don't fatigue so badly on 25m as compared to 50m, recoveries are shorter and the next day feels not as bad either. but that's for improving unaerobic capacity mainly. lots of people prefer to do 50m sets, though.

i'm not sure what you mean by saying "should I be swimming in a certain way". i'm sure you know that technique is crucial. you find some good videos for ideas. so adding technique sessions regularly is surely time well spent. also, try to find someone to film you underwater or at least point out some details you might want to work on. makes a huge difference.

anyhow, that's just some of my ideas.

enjoy

roland

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT