• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Q: Roller speargun recommendation for UK waters & fish?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I use double wrap in the med.
I’m probably gonna be crucified for this but, I find that double wrap with Dyneema works better than mono.

Bring on the nails and hammer boys

Reactions: Mr. X and CCspearo
Good to hear. I would have expected Dyneema to tangle more than mono. Any secret to your success?

I shoot with three wraps on my pathos 115. And that’s the gun I shoot 28 ft not to pathos 85.
Yes, I guess that would total about 28ft (8x115 + 40cm overhang = 960cm = 378" so I make that v. roughly 31.5' including the spear itself) but is it useable at full range (considering accuracy, drag, power loss, gravity/parabola, etc)?

I use double wrap in the med.
I’m probably gonna be crucified for this but, I find that double wrap with Dyneema works better than mono.

Bring on the nails and hammer boys
I use 3 wraps of 2mm spectra on my 100cm rollergun 2 wraps on my 80cm roller and 2 wraps of 1mm dyneema on my 55cm roller cavegun. I found the dyneema more inclined to tangle than the spectra but if you treat it with hot wax it stiffens up and works well. I got the idea from kite flyers who wax their lines to avoid tangles. The 1mm dyneema is almost as strong as 2mm spectra but with less drag. It is about twice the price of spectra. The heavier spectra is a bit easier to grip when fighting larger fish.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT