• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question question about books

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jul 28, 2017
hello there, I have a few questions about books:

- is there any difference between the first and second edition of umberto´s manual of freediving?
- is there any point in getting any other book that covers breathing and other aspects like dry training that the above does not cover?

I found these for good prices:
- Dry Training for Freediving: Analysis and Management of Physical Preparation -> 43€
- Breatheology: The Art of Conscious Breathing -> 28€
-
L'apnée : De la théorie à la pratique -> 75€
-
Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science and What the Ocean Tells Us About Ourselves -> 11€

thanks for your time! happy dives

I like to be informed and read about subjects that are interesting to me be it about freediving or bikes or.. you get the picture =) I can read and understand French so that would not be an issue, just want to understand wich are really worth it. Plus, for example Umberto´s book has a difference of about 14 years or so from the 1st to 2nd version and was wondering if it makes any difference in terms of information, if anything changed and if so is it worth getting the second edition or just stick to the first one. Don´t want to be wasting money that´s all.

Thank you Stephan for your time to reply =)

Reactions: xristos
That's funny strangeconcept, just today I was searching the web for some good freediving book. Only to find there is still nothing just like 5 years ago when I was searching again. I will argue that freediving is the hobby-sport with the least amount of bibliography concerning training methodology and techniques.

That's good ground for some monopoly. The only good books you will find will break the bank. That's really sad.:bookworm:

I see you are new to the forum so if you haven't discovered yet there is a podcast, "freedivecafe", which is solid but don't expect too much in terms of training, and Aharon Solomons youtube webinars which are phenomenal and share a lot of knowledge. In your book list you missed Eric Fattah book holistic freediving.

Good luck, and always good dives :)

Last edited:
Thank you Xristos. I will look into those names. I did stumble upon Aharon's tutorial about making a neck wheight some time ago, but never had a loom at his other videos. I will have a look at his stuff. Thanks for the prompt reply.

There is a whole lot of info right here - we have a few seasoned pros that occassionanlly comment also. The forums go back many years. Check out the "beginner" and "training and techniques" and "spearfishing" if you are into that.

There is a whole lot of info right here - we have a few seasoned pros that occassionanlly comment also. The forums go back many years. Check out the "beginner" and "training and techniques" and "spearfishing" if you are into that.
thanks =) I do read and have read some info on here, but nothing substitutes a good old book, or on hands experience. Unfortunately digital information just gets clumped up by so much more information.. if you get my drift, maybe I´m old fashioned but that´s how I see things

Reactions: xristos
I think we depend far too much on electronics, electric appliances, a book needs no wi-fi, internet access, battery etc.. plus we spend too much time on computers or these days mobile phones. I talk for myself, maybe if I didnt spend so much time on the pc/internet by now I might have gone diving more that I have, but wouldn´t have read and seen so much information. Anyway´s advice and knowledge is always welcome. Thanks for the time

Okay, so I'm not allowed to post links (nor edit posts), but you can find it on Amazon and elsewhere.
  • ISBN-13: 978-9529363063

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT