• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question about hand position and chest loading band speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

somarasa

Sep 21, 2016
Hi :)
Recently i have a dilemma whit one friend of mine which position is more efficient while loading speargun . Let me explain what i mean :
Hands over the bands "4"
Load%20Speargun%202%20700.jpg

Hands under the bands:
hqdefault.jpg

I have emphasis the efficient in terms of muscle group involved in loading the gun . I know that the easiest way is right way . If my English is not correct spear me please . Cheers

Hi :)
Recently i have a dilemma whit one friend of mine which position is more efficient while loading speargun . Let me explain what i mean :
Hands over the bands "4"
Load%20Speargun%202%20700.jpg

Hands under the bands:
hqdefault.jpg

I have emphasis the efficient in terms of muscle group involved in loading the gun . I know that the easiest way is right way . If my English is not correct spear me please . Cheers
Hi! Definately with hands OVER the bands! Another tip is: When you are ready to pull, hold your breath, and pull. it helps me a lot!

Reactions: somarasa
i agree holding breath when pulling make it easier hands over too!!!

For me using hands under the band technique works and feels natural. As I load I feel my biceps working mostly and I am very comfortable with that.

I also found out really quick by myself that holding my breath on a good inhalation helps a lot and also pushing out my chest as I reach close to the loading tab.

I started spearfishing this year and only have about 15 sessions under my belt...

For me using hands under the band technique works and feels natural. As I load I feel my biceps working mostly and I am very comfortable with that.

I also found out really quick by myself that holding my breath on a good inhalation helps a lot and also pushing out my chest as I reach close to the loading tab.

I started spearfishing this year and only have about 15 sessions under my belt...
What gun are you using? Depending on your height, the loading effort varies. I am 1,80cm and I have a pathos 90. It has 19mm band and it was hard to load especially at first, and definately not without wearing a diving suit.

I'm on no monster gun, a Pathos Open Pro 82cm, 2 x 14mm Primeline small ID bands. Originally cut @ 360%, but I shortened them by 5cm & 8cm since I felt them becoming a bit softer after some use.

Loading on chest (no suit most of the time) with hands-under-bands grip. Feels natural and gives me better power and control.

However I think this has a lot to do with personal preferences, how you're built and how you have exercised.

I'm on no monster gun, a Pathos Open Pro 82cm, 2 x 14mm Primeline small ID bands. Originally cut @ 360%, but I shortened them by 5cm & 8cm since I felt them becoming a bit softer after some use.

Loading on chest (no suit most of the time) with hands-under-bands grip. Feels natural and gives me better power and control.

However I think this has a lot to do with personal preferences, how you're built and how you have exercised.
Try loading a longer gun with thicker bands! Propably, you will have to change technique! (and wear suit).

I do a lot of things wrong according to the experts, one is I load my guns with my hands under the rubbers. After shooting a fish sometimes I can rerig the gun & one or two rubbers & shoot another on the same dive, I dont know how I do this with such bad form. I dont use "massive" guns the longest I can load without load assists are 1400mm band stretch, currently I only use 16mm rubbers. For competitions I use small guns, usually they have 1200mm band stretch & a single 16mm rubber, I may reload & shoot as many as 40 times in a 4 or 5 hour comp. These are some of my current "fun" guns, either ready to go or just an hour or so playing with rubbers & mono to get them ready, when chasing pelagics the drifts may only last 30 minutes, so even when not shooting fish I may still load these guns 10 times a day & of course much more times if we find fish.

I also keep the snorkel in my mouth when I dive, I know its shocking:)
21686217_529991870677399_8480634099183950669_n.jpg

Reactions: SubSub
They do all get used & beatten up:). I have a fair collection of guns & about 16 guns which I currently use ATM & another 3 being built with a few new tricks. Maybe I will start a thread on how I tune them all to the same aim point & muscle memory with so many different spear diameters & gun lengths. Most spearos have several guns, but they don't or cant get them all shoot to the same aim point as each other. I think this forum is moderated well enough that such a discussion would be possible here.

They do all get used & beatten up:). I have a fair collection of guns & about 16 guns which I currently use ATM & another 3 being built with a few new tricks. Maybe I will start a thread on how I tune them all to the same aim point & muscle memory with so many different spear diameters & gun lengths. Most spearos have several guns, but they don't or cant get them all shoot to the same aim point as each other. I think this forum is moderated well enough that such a discussion would be possible here.
Hey!
I am super interested to hear about how you adjust your spearguns :)
I have 3 spearguns and they all have their own personality
Best regards

Gesendet von meinem SM-G925F mit Tapatalk

would you still be interested in doing this writeup ? i am now the owner of 2 guns and the third i am building myself so learning how to tune them would be fantastic.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT