• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question about Mares fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

NBlox

Feb 5, 2015
Hi all,

I'm a newbie and I've been looking for a nice pair of plastic fins for a while. I've read about some of the fins here that are being recommended for beginners. I'm interested in getting either the Mares Instinct Pro's or the Mares Razors (the grey ones).

Are there any people here who could give their opinion on these and/or possibly a comparison between the two?

Thanks in advance.

I find the Mares Instinct pro a bit hard, which can actually be a good thing when you have to bring up a lot of lead from depth. What I love about them is that they are virtually indestructible. So it really depends on what you want to use the fins for...

Reactions: NBlox
I've been using the mako competition freediver fins, for $90, I'm not complaining. I've used them to 50' and haven't had any issues. They're not the best for surface swimming but still work pretty well. I'm pretty sure any plastic fin will scratch easily but thats just battle scares.

The Mako's aren't an option since my budget is pretty tight. The Razors are 75 dollars and that's about as much as I'd like to spend on my first pair.

Could you guys give some advice when it comes to sizing? I'd like to wear them without socks. I'm a EU size 44 and the only options I get for sizes are 40-42 and 42-44. I'd go with 42-44.

I know I should try them on but I don't have that option since practically no store in Belgium sells them.

Anyone else who can give their opinion on these fins and the sizing? It would be greatly appreciated!

I've size shoe size 42, and got the Mares Instinct pro size 40-41. Fits good without socks, occasionally I use them with 2mm socks without any problems.

I've size shoe size 42, and got the Mares Instinct pro size 40-41. Fits good without socks, occasionally I use them with 2mm socks without any problems.
Thanks for your answer! I'll order my pair this week. I might post a review after I've tested them for a bit.

Nice, I'm looking forward to it! I see them more like a work horse. They're not particularly pretty, or particularly great, but they get the job done without complaining [emoji16]

Nice, I'm looking forward to it! I see them more like a work horse. They're not particularly pretty, or particularly great, but they get the job done without complaining [emoji16]
Just to avoid confusion here: I'm getting the Razors, not the Instinct Pros ;)
The Instinct Pros would probably be a bit too stiff.

Whoops, yeah. So much for my attention span after getting out of the office [emoji16]
But I'm definitely looking forward to this review!

Reactions: NBlox
I got my Mares Razors delivered today and, unfortunately, they are too big. I'm not sure if they will fit snuggly with a pair of socks on. I could rent a pair and try them with the Razors in the water but that probably means I can't send the fins back if I'm not satisfied.

So I'm considering to exchange them for a pair of Cressi Gara 3000 LD's. Not sure what I'm gonna do now...

I'm back, sorry for the long delay.

Alright, like I said in my last reply, they do not fit barefoot so I got myself 2 pairs of neoprene socks, one being 2,5 mm thick and the other being 3 mm. The fins fit very nicely around the foot when wearing either pair. I've used them for about 6 hours in total now in a pool that's about 2,5 meters deep and I'm very happy about them.

Is there anything you would like to know about them? I'm not sure what I should cover in my 'review' since this is my first time.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT