• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question about monofin design

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Alun

Oct 5, 2001
I wondered if anyone can tell me why some monofins are straight and others have a slight curve? Does anyone know what the pros and cons are of each type?
It's just that I've been testing out a Henx monofin which is perfectly straight. It's actually a very nice blade, and the stiffness feels near enough perfect for constant. I've only used it once so far, and not had a chance to dive deep so I can't tell yet whether it's better than my Waterway (LDM1).

The difference I've felt so far is that my stroke feels more even with the straight blade. Whether this is better for diving deep, I really don't know yet... It may take a little while to learn the stroke for the new blade to get the most out of it.

(It came with awful footpockets (Mat-Mas) which I removed and promptly threw away and then glued on a Waterway footpocket. The blade just needed a slight trim.)

... so does anyone know what the difference means in real terms?
Does anyone have any experience of straight bladed monofins?

alun

construction

This curve is a side effect of the thinning method.
The common material of the blade is a "printed circuit boad" fiberglass, used in electronics. When making a mono blade, the builder rips up several layers to make the blade more flexible near the tip. After this rip up, the blade tends to bend a little.

If you have a blade which really is laminated by the builder, this blade should be straight. A good example is a mat-mas carbon mono. But even this kind of straight blade can be spoiled by careless glueing of footpockets.

Oh! I always imagined that the curve was a specific part of the design (for some reason). I didn't know it was a side-effect as you described. Thanks for that info.
Does this mean that there should be no significant in-water difference between a straight blade and a curved blade of the same size and thickness etc?
It would surprise me if this was the case.

alun

Reactions: Ben Gowland
Yns mon

I would have thought that the blade curvature would have a slight effect in stiffening the blade on the forward stroke and loosening the blade on the return. In other words, I doubt it would make any difference in CW, but could in dynamic.

Interesting that it is a side effect of manufacture. At least it suggests that the 'effect' should be spread throughout the balde, and not just in one place - i.e not imbalancing the blade

yeah, I think you may be right about that Ben. For the last few weeks, I've been diving with the Henx on the saturday, and the Waterway on the sunday, to figure out which i prefer... I *think* I may prefer the Waterway, can't quite put my finger on it though. I really would like to try the LD Model 2 again sometime to test it properly.
I now think my old MD Model2 is too stiff, and I doubt I'll use it much again. JohnM's MD Model 1 is far too stiff - I tried it in the pool a few weeks ago - not a good choice for deep diving.

alun

i know that this post doesnt really elong here but anyways....
what are the advantages and disadvantages of useing a monofin

And what sort of price am I going to be looking at for a basic monofin? Pondering getting one but don't want to have to spend a vast amount just to try one out. Thinking one might be useful as when doing dynamic in the pool, I seem to be able to get much further when i keep my legs together, and I'm thinking a monofin might get me further once I get used to using one.

Ta,
Matt

mishu1984,
I've not thought of any disadvantages yet... :) For deep diving it's the best way to go in my opinion. They're great for 'recreational diving' too. I don't like diving with bi-fins - it just doesn't feel right.

narked,
try Didier from www.monopalme.com, or Roland at RolandKanters@hetnet.nl. They will give you the latest prices.

If you have a smallish light frame, then I would recommend the long distance Model 2 Waterway. If you are bigger in stature, frame, strength... then go for the long distance Model 1. I use the LDM1 regularly and it's *very* good. I've only used the LDM2 once (borrowed from friend) on one deepish dive, and that felt good too. There was a noticable difference in stiffness (LDM1 being stiffer than the LDM2). Both of these are ideal for dynamic too.

If you really want a slightly stiffer blade, then try a medium distance Model 2. This is fine for most depths, but I don't think it's the best fin for very deep dives (sub 60) - too stiff. Don't even think about medium distance Model 1 or the sprint fins, unless you want to use it for finswimming.

so, in conclusion....
LDM1, LDM2 :inlove
MDM2 :ycard
MDM1 :rcard
sprint fins? rofl

Ta,
Still gonna have to save up for a while though!
Or does anyone have one they want to sell on cheap? :D

The fins I'm using currently aren't exactly great for freediving, as they're the ones I use for my Scuba diving. But from what I've been reading, monofins seem to be the way to go for freediving.

Matt

why waterway?

I've seen most recommendations for waterway but they seem difficult to get. Has anyone tried the monofins offered by the diveinn shop? They are by europalamus and they carry 3 different levels of stiffness. What is so great about waterway? Also, for size, is it better to err on the bigger side and make up the extra room with booties? Thanks, Carlo

Waterways are very easy to get hold of... can order on-line via http://www.finswimming.ca/. There are 9 (as far as I know) models ranging in sizes and stiffness. I've used them myself and can tell you that they're very good for freediving, as can a number of my friends. Also a number of top athletes use them, including (I think) Patrick Musimu for his 87m constant IAFD WR.

Maybe the Europalmus are ok, I just can tell you anything about them, as I've never seen or tried them. Maybe someone else can.

My advice for socks, is to wear socks no thicker than 3mm, and buy socks that are a good few sizes too small for your feet (I use socks UK7-8, but my feet are UK10-11). Otherwise when you try to get your feet into the footpocket you have a lot of excess material that gathers and folds up.
I would not go 'one size up'. The footpockets need to be quite tight to be any good. My footpocket size are for size UK10, and with 3mm (small) socks, they are perfect.

hope that helps,
alun

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT