• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question about the Hydro - dynamics of the spear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Menny1975

Jul 8, 2018
Hi guys,
I need your help.
I'm using the 125 Merlin Beuchat speargun, with two 5/8 speargun rubber tubing, and a 6.5 m"m spear.
Recently, there is a strange noise during the shot and the shots are not accurate.
I have two questions:
1. what could be the problem?
2. Are there any basic rules for a clean and a hydrodynamic shot In terms of the mechanism of the speargun?
Thanks, Menny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beuchat Marlin speargun?
Is the spear straight? It the flopper/barb straight, properly seated and freely pivoting?
Metal wishbone?

P6003161T.jpg

Hi Mr. X,
Yes it's a beuchat Merlin speargun, the spear is straight ( a brand new one I just bought ) and the wishbone is from Dynema, not metal. Sorry for my ignorance... but what is the flopper/barb?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried using just one band? Perhaps the 2x16mm bands are over-powering it, causing it to flex/whiplash?

For example, the Rob Allen railguns equipped with 2x16mm bands have thicker spears (e.g. Tuna model has a 7.5mm spear, ref. https://www.spearfishing.co.uk/shop/spearguns/rob-allen-spearguns-tuna-railgun/ ). Their Sparid model has a 6.6mm spear with 2 notches and a double-rubber muzzle but it is only equipped with 1x16mm rubber.

e.g. This chap is using a Beuchat Marlin with 2x16mm but a 7mm spear:

e.g. This Beuchat marlin with "2x17mm" (17mm :D) comes equipped with a 7mm spear as standard:

Yes. To me a 6,5mm spear on such a long gun seem on the lower side.

If you try to hook it up with 14mm small ID bands and start off with a lesser stretch on the bands and work your way up so to say, to see how far there is a increase in accuracy and where the decrease starts.

The flopper is the thing that sits close to the top of your spear, the thingy that flops out and keep the fish on the spear. [emoji4]

692d25f3a91a7e94fb9facaa09f0febe.png

Aha...so now I know what the flopper is :) . Well I'm using a new shaft so it's not the cause of the recoil and the inaccuracy.
Yes the matter of the over power make a lot of sense to me, I could definitely feel it when I shot.
So first, I'll try a 7m"m shaft for those two 16 m"m rubber bands and update you how it went :giggle:.
Thank you very much!

Reactions: SubSub
Hi guys.
I dove todays morning.
Fixed my speargun with 2 rubber bands 5/8 and a new 7 m"m stainless steel shaft.
I shortened the rubber bands according to this formula: Distance between the rubber hole and the notch divide by 1.5.
So the longer one is: 124 : 1.5 = 82.7 c"m
And the shorter one is: 118.5 : 1.5 = 79 c"m
The shots were quite accurate and the sound or recoil were not presented. Now my question is, should I shorten them even more to get a greater power?
I'de love to try Subsubs suggestion with the 14 bands as well, but what their length shoud be? Is it same as the 16 bands? My logic tells me they should be shorter.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT