• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question about wetsuit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gerard

Oct 3, 2002
Hi fellas!

I wonder how tight needs to be the wetsuit around the thoracic area so it won't negatively influence the lung compression due to increased depth. Presently, I cannot afford a custom one so I have to stick to a surfing wetsuit. I like one piece ones that's why I have chosen the surfie style. BTW my mind is on a 3mm one. I live in a nice and warm area.:D

Thanks in advance, gerard.

Hi,
I also have just 3mm wetsuit designed for surfing and rafting. I used it for diving this September in Croatia, so water was warm enough. Problem is this wetsuit has no hood and is not so tight around wrists and neck. Every time I went down, I felt like cold eel was slipping in my wetsuit.:(
So for next year I want to buy freediving wetsuit ( If I can find one here in Czech scuba oriented diveshops) or at least hood and use it with the old one.
I can not help you with your question abou wetsuit influencing lung compression, I am beginner and with my depths about 10-12m I had no such problem, but I really think surfing wetsuit is not good for diving.
Petr

Well Gerard, I had surfing wetsuit, and worked fine...though they tend to leak and that's the cold eel feeling that is no good... and when you dive deep....say -20M and beyond the water is going to be cold no matter where you are...Well not really cold but it will affect your body quite quikly...
Freediving wetsuits are very stretchy and that is the main differense to scuba wetsuits... and the tightness affects you the most when you do your breath-up on the surface... in depth..you get compressed pretty fast and your wetsuit if not very flexible will become too big for you and the cold eel again will happen...:)
I strongly suggest you make the investment and buy freediving wetsuit if you are into this sport..you'll save money....
My 2c..

hooded vest

If you cannot find a good suit, then use a hooded vest under your 3 mil. It will make a huge difference in comfort.
Jim

Here's a link to a closeout special at Diver's Direct:

http://www.diversdirect.com/specials.htm -- a 3-mil hooded vest for $20 (my gloves and snorkel each cost that much).

JimGlynn has a rep as a polar-bear (though he's no Doug Raymond), so if he says its warm -- its warm.

mh

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT