• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Regarding Some Dizziness...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TMcKee

Aug 9, 2002
I have read quite a bit in here. I am familiar with a samba,...thanks to this board, but I have a question. I am a budding free-diver. I have not been to any class although I was hoping to go to Tanya Streeters course a while back. I swim in pools mostly, no more than 12 ft deep max, I do negative pressure, static and dynamic. I popped out of the water once after breaking my own personal record and became dizzy. I will say that I fought through a few contractions on my way to my new goal, and not that this frightens me, but the dizziness did. You see, I swim alone. I get together with one fella on wednesdays or so, but what do I do when I have no one but a teenage lifeguard around? I can't just not swim. I generally dont push it, but on my way back from that dynamic, I looked ahead, saw the goal, told my body to quit whining and pushed it. Any info on this dizziness would be appreciated.

OH....

Can any of you offer a basic training regimen that I should work into my regular routine or switch to?

Step one: Dizzyness
Step 2: Samba
Step3: SWB

Dizzyness is a symptom of oxygen depreciation.
Never push your limits when you're alone (It easy advice to give but I know how it is when I'm in the water myself)

It escaped me earlier, thanks. Even when I was a commercial diver, I never really worried about hypoxia.

I have air, so shut up and go to work was the rule.

I feel like a fool now...I can't believe that I didn't realize that right away. :duh

"I will say that I fought through a few contractions on my way to my new goal, and not that this frightens me, but the dizziness did. You see, I swim alone."

TMcKee
If no one else is going to say it, I will. That frightens me. As you follow this path, you will take chances and 'get away' with it. You may not even be aware of the risk. I fear that one day, the wall will be farther, the contractions absent or the performance will not be up to par. The first symptom will be a black out.
Please reconsider.
Aloha
Bill

Well spoken Bill,

I agree.

We all have to train/dive alone sometimes, but don't overstep your bounderies. I personaly never push when I train alone, If I try a new workout it's with someone until I know what my limits are then I back off when I'm alone. I wait until I have a spotter to push it. If you have a target in mind and have no spotter the day you plan on achieving the target, go through the motions as if you were going for it. It may feel easy, but stop anyways you can always do it on another day. Just going through the motions will help train your body for when the real time comes. It's like an active visualization. Hey did I just coin a term. :duh

Anyway good luck with training

DSV

Two things:

1) I concur with the above. When I train at the pool I have my wife nearby watching what I'm doing, and

2) as a former teenage lifegaurd I have to say that some of us took our jobs and training seriously. In Canada you have to pass a rigourous set of exams provided by the national lifegaurd service, and I hate to admit i was probably more aware of what to do with an unconcious swimmer then (10 years ago) than now.

If you let the lifegaurd know what you are doing most of them will at least let you know whether or not they feel comfortable with the risks you are taking. I've found some that are so intrigued with the sport the've offered to time dives etc.... (maybe you'll find a training partner that way :) )

Point taken guys. Like I said, I rarely push it. I should only do it when I have a spotter. Train all week for a goal, however minimal, and attempt it when I dive with my partner. Thanks folks, I appreciate the input. Believe me, I never wore the shirt that said, "To tough to black out". I just never considered SWB a serious threat, especially how I train, until I got dizzy the other day.

Thanks. I will be a lot more aware in the future.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT