• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Questions Mares Jet

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ubik

Oct 19, 2010
Hello Guys

This summer i fulfilled myself a childhooddream an bought myself a speargun. I bought the mares jet 70 in a shop in croatia. I didnt do any research before and just bought it. I will only use it on vacation since here in austria it is forbidden to spearfish in lakes.
I already used it in croatia and nearly shot some fish, but it was geat to hunt under water.

now my questions.
the shaft sometimes bends while loading. does it makes sense to buy another one. (the stainless steel one on the mares site)

does it makes sense to buy a reel and Line for this gun..?because the line delivered with the gun is quite short and i think there is enough power in the gun.

does it makes sense to tune the gun with a mamba kit..?

Are there other ways to easy tune this gun..?

Until next summer i wont use it, so i will practice apnoe instead.. :D

Thanks in Advance

greez ubik

You do not have to worry about the shaft flexing as you muzzle load the gun, you just do not want it developing a permanent bend. Flexing is normal, there is nothing wrong with the shaft, but you must pull the shaft down while it is properly lined up with the longitudinal axis of the inner barrel to avoid placing too much sideways stress on the shaft. I suggest you use the gun as is at first, it should do all that you require initially. Later on you may want to try a muzzle kit, but using the standard gun will familiarize you with the gun's capabilities and you will perfect your muzzle loading technique. Once you become proficient at that you can think of trying a modified gun, especially once the new gun's warranty runs out. The current "Jet" is the old "Competition Line" Sten 87 shape, but without the adjustable length trigger of that earlier model, which is no great loss in my opinion as I soon set it back to the standard width.

Reactions: spaghetti
Hello Guys

This summer i fulfilled myself a childhooddream an bought myself a speargun. I bought the mares jet 70 in a shop in croatia. I didnt do any research before and just bought it. I will only use it on vacation since here in austria it is forbidden to spearfish in lakes.
I already used it in croatia and nearly shot some fish, but it was geat to hunt under water.

now my questions.
the shaft sometimes bends while loading. does it makes sense to buy another one. (the stainless steel one on the mares site)
I would change to Devoto 7 mm shaft. Than you could load the gun easier because you need less bars in the gun.
Devoto shaft is much better than the shaft you got with the gun. Or you could buy stainless steel 8 mm shaft. 8 mm shaft has more power than the 7 mm shaft but it is slower.

does it makes sense to buy a reel and Line for this gun..?because the line delivered with the gun is quite short and i think there is enough power in the gun.
It is good to have a reel. If you change the original line which has very high drag with 1,5 mm mono the gun will be much better.

does it makes sense to tune the gun with a mamba kit..?
Yes it makes sense. But there is no more Mamba kit on the market. You could buy STC.

Are there other ways to easy tune this gun..?
You may read about Tomba to get some ideas.
http://forums.deeperblue.com/pneumatic-spearguns/81791-tomba-all-one-barrel-sealing-16.html

Until next summer i wont use it, so i will practice apnoe instead.. :D

Thanks in Advance

greez ubik

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers.

So i can put a 7mm shaft in an 13mm internal barrel which is made for 8mm shafts..? Thats good to know.

I will tune my gun a little over the winter.
with reel and new line and maybe a new shaft.

thanks

greez ubik

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers.

So i cant put a 7mm shaft in an 13mm internal barrel which is made for 8mm shafts..? Thats good to know.

I will tune my gun a little over the winter.
with reel and new line and maybe a new shaft.

thanks

greez ubik

You can, but you'll have to adapt it. The cone butt, slider ring at least.

Ok.
I found some onlineshops where you can buy those devoto 7mm shafts,
but the smallest ist 130cm long. Nearly double the length of my gun.
Are there smaller ones, or do i need to cut it by myself..?
And what things i need to adopt it.

A slider ring that is for 7mm shafts and what do you mean with a cone butt..?

greez ubik

Last edited:
Ok.
I found some onlineshops where you can buy those devoto 7mm shafts,
but the smallest ist 130cm long. Nearly double the length of my gun.
Are there smaller ones, or do i need to cut it by myself..?
And what things i need to adopt it.

A slider ring that is for 7mm shafts and what do you mean with a cone butt..?

greez ubik

You can find smaller Devoto shafts as replacement for Cyrano shafts.
The end of the shaft has a detachable butt that prevents the slider ring from falling down from the shaft. The taper must be the same as on the original shaft.

I bought a reel and a monoshooting line for it now.
I think i rigged it up right.
The only question is, how do i fix the line so that it doesnt fall of the gun..? With a reel there is no tension on the line, so i can fall off easy.
You know what i mean..?

With a rubber and without a reel a i can easly fix the line and when i shoot i will fall off.

I wrote an email to the devoto webshop, to help me find the right shaft and other parts, but i didnt get an answer. the webshop of the devoto site is only in italian, so i cant figure out which shaft i should buy.

I got it all now.
4 new Shafts: two 8mm and two 7mm
All of them with the devoto Slidering.
The Problem is that with the 7mm shaft and the 7mm devoto sliderring
the shaft isnt perfectly in the center of the gun, because the diameter is 1mm less. So i would need a Sliderring with an inner 7mm diameter but for an 13mm barrel pneumatic gun.
Do you know where i can get one of these..?

And how long should the shootingline of my mares jet 70 be..?

greez ubik

Last edited:
I got it all now.
4 new Shafts: two 8mm and two 7mm
All of them with the devoto Slidering.
The Problem is that with the 7mm shaft and the 7mm devoto sliderring
the shaft isnt perfectly in the center of the gun, because the diameter is 1mm less. So i would need a Sliderring with an inner 7mm diameter but for an 13mm barrel pneumatic gun.
Do you know where i can get one of these..?

And how long should the shootingline of my mares jet 70 be..?

greez ubik

For sliding ring you might ask some workshop to make you one.
Usually you use two wraps of shooting line, line release - front end of the gun.

You could also put some vacuum barrel system on your gun: regular or for free shaft.

Thank you tromic for your answers.
Ok, so i will check where someone who can make me some sliderrings
made of stainless steel.
I will tune the gun with a vacuum barrel system as soon as the warranty is over. I am looking forward to my next holidays in croatia or greece.
I might go to Mali Losinj. Not too far from vienna.. :D We will see.

And i will post a picture when everything is done, so other beginners can see what i actually have done.

greez jan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT