• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Quick and Dirty Bear Steak

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
How bear are hunted depends a lot on the terrain and the population density of the bears. Here in the SoCal mountains, good success can be had by calling but most guys use hounds. Up where Amphibious is, there are so many that dogs are more trouble than they're worth. Along the coast the most common hunting technique is to spot from a motor yacht, the pile into skiff for the quick trip to shore and stalk from there. That sounds like fun for us "old duffer" sorts. It also helps in dealing with the meat. Gut on site, drag to skiff, haul to yacht then skin and butcher in relative comfort.

There's another way to hunt them that's now illegal around here.

First, you take a jug of wine and pour it in a bucket. Next, leave the bucket sitting out by the "dump". Wait in your car, while drinking cheap beer, for the bear to come in and get drunk. When it falls over in a stupor walk up and plug it in the head. Now you can back your car up to it and haul it away.

I don't know of anyone who hunts that way today, but it used to be somewhat common amongst certain hunters.

Jon

Baiting anything but fish is illegal in California. Baiting bear would really get you in trouble.

Hi Stretch

Sorry if I gave the impression I was against people shooting wildlife, I stated that I would not like to do it. I would not like to go mountain climbing but I have nothing against anybody else doing it.

We are not permitted to shoot wildlife here and part of our way of life. Kangaroos are culled by professional for their own survival.

Spearfishing: Most places along the coast in the metropolitan area where you can spearfish, and unfortunately my favourite spot have been made into Marine Parks. So the Government here is trying to establish a look but not touch aspect in the marine environment as well.

I'd love to see professional fishing banned (dream) and if you wanted fish you had to get it yourself. When I look at a fish shop and see a shop load of fish I wonder how much goes to waste. No problems it's a tax deduction.

Catch ya later
Poida

AB Diver,
I definatley realize that the commercial guys do have to eat too, thats why I brought up subsidation. But that would be in my perfect world :) Glad you realized that I was not bashing them for making a living. I'm just a bit aggrivated that since we have come a long way in realizing the extensive harm it does to our ocean, its wildlife, and the future of the commercial fishermans livelihood that we can't do anything about it?? If their practices are kept up NO ONE, not even them will be able to enjoy the oceans bounty (bounty being $$ also). But its hard to see that from a money-hungry politicians perspective.

And the fight between the commercial guys and the recreation anglers (especially spearos) really infringes on what we can take on spear...again money talks and the FRA has a hell of a time (and has done a bang-up job) fighting for certain areas and reefs to stay open, disputing the trash that alot of longliners talk weak attempts to keep us out of "their" areas, and getting certain fish that are not legal to take on spear legalized.

Poida,
Gotcha buddy, just had to ask. Thanks for answering.

sux we can't send karma anymore.

Reactions: Shadowkiller
Stretch,

I understand your concerns for sport fishing but I know at least in this part of the country the commercial guys are being so regulated that the sport fisheries are now starting to thrive! You mention long liners, shrimpers, and dragg fisherman and on that issue I do agree with you 100%. They are the ones that are so detrimental to the environment partly because there catch is non descrimiatory (meaning that anything that swims in the ocean ends up in the nets and much is thrown back for waste).

I have to say that if you want to be against the commercial fisherman you should do it in a way that regulates the BIG boats. It isn't the small time fishing families like mine that are doing the major harm. It is the 100+ foot slammer boats that fish up and down the coasts in all the seasons in all the waters with HUGE astronimical catches that are doing the harm. They are all about production and $ not just making a living :rcard . It is sort of like the small retail store next to Wal Mart. The fishing industry has become to corporate and I think that it should go back to the smaller fishing families. But like you my was aint gonna happen either.

Just my 2 cents.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT