• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Radiator Wetsuits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

basily

Feb 20, 2003
Has anyone ever used one of these for freediving?

http://www.radiatoroz.com/html/techstuff/faq.asp

Also what are the pros and cons of open or closed cell?

I am diving in about 23 to 28 degree C water. I know, it's pretty warm, but still cold enough that I'm trembling in about 5 minutes without a wetsuit - hard to relax and hold my breath when I'm trembling. Does anyone have any recommendations for a suit for these temperatures?

One catch is that I'm also bicycle touring and would need the suit to take up as little space as possible. What is my miracle suit?

Basily,
You need a 2-3mm suit. Lined neoprene (closed cell) takes abuse better -such as tight folding for your bike rides. Also, waist pants instead of long johns will save you a little volume.

Hydro

Originally posted by basily
I am diving in about 23 to 28 degree C water.
It sounds you're diving spring-summer in the Med :)

Instead of buying a wetsuit, you should work on your cold tolerance. Read the article on the front page of deeperblue:

http://www.deeperblue.net/article.php/303/2

In 23C water, once you work on your cold tolerance, you should last for about 15-20 minutes before shivering. In 28C water, you should last for at least 3 hours.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

i couldn't agree with you more eric. take this into consideration if it is the mediterranian you would be best advised to not purchase anything until you arrive for two reasons(price and luggage). spain, france, italy and yes even greece make most of the worlds apnea equipe.

in italy and spain(med coast) during the summer you will see a great deal of apneists in swim costume(speedos for the yanks), hooded vest with costume or bermuda(in neoprene). the later two are used for those spending all day! the only people with full suits and two pieces are pros and fanatics and compaired to most they may as well have gills.

good luck and learn a bit of the language before you go it is best for bargaining and life long friendships. p.s. if you wish to continue with the sport back home or in other colder places get all your gear while your there and mail it home(if any one asks where the articles are from that you are mailing tell them that they were purchased in the destination and that you are tired of carrying them then you don't have to deal with customs). if you are going to italy or spain i can give you names but you must speak the languages.

work on your ability to withstand the cold get a costume and watch the rest.

mexico bike trip!?!?

i looked at your profile and there was a mention of a mexico and biking. this sounds like a real adventure! i once did a combo of a dory and dive trip, best memories ever. where are you going in mexico, is that where you are going? anybody here have expierence with a bike and dive trip, maybe mexico too. i've been there a few times but never tried to bike it. best of luck and good travels!

Yup, bike touring and Mexico. Actually I started a small company running bike tours down here (Mexico). Check out:

www.bikemexico.com

I've been learning how to spearfish with my new A.B. Biller Travel Spear (perfect for bike touring) and have tried a few spots on the Pacific and in the Caribbean. I must say that I prefer the Carib. Zihuatanejo bay has a great wreck that I had the incredible luck of finding with tonnes of good fish hanging around it. Quieter spots I plan to also revisit after my last tour is over in a few of weeks are Maruata and El Faro on the Michoacan coast. A couple of weeks of nothing but fish and coconuts!

Thanks for all the tips, I'll work on my cold tolerance, but don't you think that acclimatizing myself to the water might make me lose my acclimatiztion for the heat onland?

heat differential

I have never had that problem and in the mediterranean the dispariety between the land water temp is often greater than what I have encountered in Mexico. But a word to the wise, if you are a fair euro-american you need to pay close attention to sun exposure whilst immersed in water. The burns you can sustain whilst being cooled by the water are incredible. I wish I had a picture of my friend John, we called him whitey no more after he exhibited a brilliant red backside from the sun.

Regards
El Gitano

Been there, done that. I always wear at least a shirt. I'm not that fair; Greek blood, but I'll still sizzle if I'm out there unprotected for a few hours.

Thanks.

Huge difference in water temps depending upon what side of Mexico your on.

I've dove Cozumel many times and only needed a t-shirt to keep the tank straps from rubbing. While diving in Cabo I wished that I had my drysuit with me at times! There was over a 25 degree differnce in water temps when I was there.

For scuba diving in La Paz and Cabo I have always worn a 7mm. That kept me warm enough to out last the local divemasters- they froze and sucked through a tank in no time.

I would think that a 3mm, 1 or 2 piece, wetsuit should do the trick. They can be rolled up quite small and packed away. Carrying the lead belt would be the real pain on a bike trip.

If you were really stuck for weight you could try a polar fleece dive skin. They are not as warm as a suit, but they pack super small and need no extra weight to get you down.

When it comes to suits, any freediving suit should work. The warmer you are the more comfortable you'll be.

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT