• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

rafts/boats

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Thanatos

Nov 18, 2002
Alright...I know this is boring stuff...but I don't have a boat or anything like that. There are quite a few shops that will take you to just about any dive site around, but that gets pretty expensive pretty quick!!! I was thinking about getting a raft until I can buy a small aluminum boat, but some people around me (none divers) think I'm insane to row my way around in an inflatable. The thing is that there are dive sites that are reachable with a raft, but I don't know if they're right about me being insane or what. I do want to stay safe. So to get to the point...What do you guys use to get around and what advice can you give on this oh so boring topic.

Over here in Aus, some divers use a thing called a surk ski, don't know what it would be called over there. It's basically like a big long kayak you sit on and row by yourself. It's got the added benefit that if you spear stuff, you can throw it on the ski instead of leaving it in the water (big plus for sharky areas like the GBR). You can row them pretty quick, but you've gotta be relatively fit/keen to go more than about a kilometer or so. You've also gotta be able to anchor it (a brick and rope works well) when you get to your dive site. One other disadvantage is that it's a one man thing, and I wouldn't really advocate diving alone, there's just too many dangers, especially if you're going a k offshore.

Brad

Definitely look into the "dive kayaks" mentioned above...we always just called them sit-on-tops:confused:

Shouldnt be to hard to find and if Im not mistaken, our west coast boys use them frequently

big fan of Kayak (surf ski) diving. mostly because I go alone almost always (yeah yeah - I know, death wish and all). I can toss my kit on the back and bugger off for a few hours and the kayak fits ontop of my truck. easy come, easy go. when the weather turns shit - look out. I'm a Class V Whitewater paddler and I've had my ass handed to me a couple times in rough seas, hard to surf a sit-on-top with 40kg of kit in the back.

rafts ALWAYS pop. I don't care who they're made by. been there, and a 900m swim with dead fish at night is more then enough for me.

Willer

Yeah, I thought rafts might pop. I looked online and found some dive kayaks. Have you tried those with a thick canvas-like exterior. They're supposed to be sturdy, but can be deflated. Don't know if even those have a reputation for popping. That would be bad!!! Especially after spending a few hundred. But after hearing about the 900m swim with dead fish at night......bad,bad,bad!! (lol) I better get something more reliable.

Reactions: Amphibious
we used modified surf ski's - but the west coast boys seem to really like OceanKayak

www.oceankayak.com

I'm looking at the Scrambler or Scrambler XT for spearfishing.

Willer

Willer,

What kind of surf ski are you using?
I started out with an Ocean Kayak Scrmabler and finally upgraded two years ago to a Futura sport surfski. Its 15' long and has a hatch and rudder on it. The thing is fast, but I worry a bit more about cracking the fiberglass than I ever did with my roto-molded boat.

Jon

not sure what kind of surfskis they were - looked like a long-board with foot and ass bumps to lock into - very very simple. had some eyes in the bacl to tie gear down - maybe 12ft - 15ft long. For me I think I'd stay away from Fiber. too easy to destroy (I break stuff). X-Link or Zytec would be the way to go, but I think most of them are Linear or SuperLinear (crap).

Willer

If you end up with one - let me know how it works - still haven't taken one for a spin.

No sharks in BC, but damn cold - would beat the swim!

Willer

I own 2 ocean kyaks A 16 ft zumz two thats for two people my wife & I have dove off of for about 7 years works great they have since changed it's name & they also now make a shorter dobble one now. I also have a scuper pro tw that I use when I do the dreded solo dive it's longer a lot faster & easer to cover any distants short or long then the scrambler witch I have used also brother has one ck ther web sight
Also some kwik advice what ever you get tie everything down as soon as they can flip over at the most inopertune time and what is'nt secuerd will be on the bottom
stay wet Stu
Those that don't learn to laugh at themselvs leave the job to others

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT