• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rainbow Runners Craze...... & What Species of Cod/Grouper is this ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Originally posted by rigdvr
personal opinion...eye contact is not the worst problem while hunting. Body language is. I wear a Sporabub samuri w/ tinted lenses and noticed no effect on fish fleeing until I learned to control my body language. Fish know when they are being actively persued...they can "feel" you in the water even if they are not looking at you and you are not looking at them.(lateral line) So I wouldnt count on any mask to improve my success.

Why don't you give us some tips about that body language?:D

Sure...often you will read that divers actually swim away from fish to get them closer...their natural curiosity is your best friend. If you are diving without a gun often you will see fish that make you wish you had one. However when you have your gun it seems you never see these fish. The reason is without the gun you are relaxed. You are just sightseeing as opposed to actively stalking and dont think for a second that fish cannot tell the difference.(except maybe in n. cali where they keep fish as pets until the day of a comp!;) )

Fish live in the vicious food cycle everyday whereas we are merely occasional visitors. Everysecond of their life is attuned to eating something else while avoiding being eaten. Sorry to tell you this, but body language comes with experience and I am far from a master, just another student trying to learn from every dive.

Good luck

In addition to what rig's been explaining, I've found that speed of approach is pretty critical too. Most of the fish I'm able to spear is primarily due to the fact that I'm slowly coasting to them. Sometimes, directly at them(profile). But, then there's those times where you have to sprint to close that last bit of gap for a shot.

Also, if a fish is skiddish, but I notice he's still interested in me, I'll swim at him several times. But, once I feel I'm at the distance where it's about to split, I'll turn off and play with some rocks or sand or something. This freaks them out because they can't figure out if you're after them or not. After a few dives, they start to wonder what the hell you keep looking at. Most Mutton snapper will go over to where you were rummaging around on the bottom as you're heading to the surface.

Another tip is to try the "white glove" technique. That works pretty well for the bigger fish. :cool:

Later,
Anderson

With pelagics you will not often have the luxury of repeated encounters with the same fish and will need to optimize each chance you get .
Knowledge of the behavioural patterns of each species you are likely to encounter will be of great benefit . Eg.
Wahoo get very curious if you "cross the T" behind them ;
Jacks often pause if you wiggle a hand at them ;
Jobfish cannot resist finding out what you are digging in the sand for ;
Chasing a mackerel and suddenly stopping may turn it ect .
Every time we go spearing should also be an opportunity to learn more .

Originally posted by Abriapnea
With pelagics you will not often have the luxury of repeated encounters with the same fish and will need to optimize each chance you get .

Abri, why don't you try playing with the sand out there in the deep blue? ;) :D :cool:

:t
Anderson

Originally posted by rigdvr
personal opinion...eye contact is not the worst problem while hunting. Body language is.

Best advice I've seen here in a while. True story, as is Elvis's mentioning the speed thing, but his admitting playing with himself down there has me a bit leery. :confused:

sven

Originally posted by icarus pacific
Best advice I've seen here in a while.
sven [/B]

Sven...forget where the karma button was?:D

Abri, what is the T?

Last edited:
It's by the V

The T is what you see on a gal with too many bonbons in her. Ya see the waist wants to become the thighs, and....:yack and no, I didn't ferget where the K button or the G spot is. You just have to look in the right place. ;)

sven

Crossing the T is where you swim behind the fish. In effect you are the crossbar of the "T", the fish being the vertical bar. Some fish get curious because it "obvious" you are not interested in them. Why else would you be swimming away from them?:D

Hi Rig ,
Shadowkiller pretty much summed it up ...:cool:
Wahoo particularly don't seem to like having someone slotting in behind them , and will perform that HUGELY annoying corkscrew just as you approach shooting range . :head

Andrsn ;
I sometimes find that there is some sand that worked it's way into my Speedo's , but it's difficult to play with through the wetsuit ...:eek:

Sand betwixt the suit and skin?! UGGHH!

Thus my creedo that "Nothing get's between me and my Picassos's except some soap".

I have a feeling I'm going to regret this...:mute

sven

Hmmm , yes Sven I know what you mean . Dont you just HATE it when that lovely Picasso shows those unsightly lines from wearing something underneath .
I am surprised however , since you patently perused Victoria's Secrets recently ; surely a satin G- string won't show ? rofl

You go right ahead...

uh, no.

But stick around for the December caption contest... chock full of lacy laughs!

sven

OOOOOooo...... Sven!! you modeling for us now!

Neoprene creations for Him & Her?

could be a new career for you....

:D

Willer

Sven modelling rubber... *shudder*:D

And Abri: surely you've heard of VGL? (Visible G-string Line). Not a good look in a camo suit..

Nah Sven it's alright I understand... your wearing the G strings under the camo wetsuit purposely to get the VGL which is actually an advanced way of "breaking your silhouette" hence adding to the camo effect, the fish think your harmless and allow you to approach knowing your not a human... :cool:

Or was it just so that the fish laugh so hard they swallow the water and drown?:hmm

*grins*

Arr and thanks for the rigging advice a while back... I am still looking into it.

Last edited:
Andrsn...knowing Svens suit up protocol....how are we picking boats in April?rofl

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT