• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ray Identification

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
hi there

can anybody help me to identify the species of this ray? I suspect that it is a Jenkins Ray ... but the spots above the eyes delude me. I don't think it is a pink whipray.

the wingspan is about 2 1/2 to 3 metres. i could not stretch my arms wide enough to measure it, so it's my nearest guestimate.

photographed at 39m, taken from a video shot. (so sorry about the quality).

any feedback would be great.
thanks a mil
S-L

Attachments

• 13[1].05.2003_rochen4.jpg
    13[1].05.2003_rochen4.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 240
Where was the photo taken? The location could help narrow the possibilities.

Rasdhoo Atoll, Maldives

Hi DiverD
this was taken on the outside reef of Rasdhoo Atoll, in Maldives. I checked all the local shark and ray books, and have eliminated the pink whipray and jenkins ray as an option.
it is something else.
one month ago i saw a similar ray to the photo on a night dive, sailing past with two large sharksuckers attached to her.

couldn't get close enough to identify any particular markings though. the one in the photo had a wingspan of about 3 1/2 metres.

the only reason I ask is it looks like the typical "stingray" or maybe an "electric ray" for what we have in So. CA.

I have no ideas about the maldives and certainly have no clue.

Looks a lot like wha I said above, though.

cheers!