• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ray Odor vs Puig spear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

desertbake

May 30, 2005
I've been looking to get a polespear capable of handling biggish fish:
- Are the manny puig spears really that much better for being over $100 bucks more?

- I like the knot style with the puig polespear (for hooking up a float line directly to the band), can this same knot be tied with any band for polespears?

- http://www.omerdiving.com/product.aspx?product=186 (puig)
- http://www.spearfishing.cc/Pole Spears.htm (odor)

Sorry if this is the wrong sub forum, wasn't sure where to ask quest's about polespears :head

i like the manny puig one.. from a craftmanship point of view, it appears to be better than the ray odor one, but thats jus my opinion

there is a huge gap in cost for those spears. if you're willing to dish otu the $200ish+ for the Puig, go for it. fram all reports it is a very fine pole spear, and of excellent craftsmanship.

while I've never handled the Odor, I own one in s simmilar price bracket. you can find them on ebay buy searching for "Linghunt". John Martin is the creator, they are very nice and value priced.

weve shot lots of big fish with the ray odor pole spear its good stuff and you can get like 6 for the price of the puig

I recently bought a Ray Odor polespear, and for the price it's awesome. The stock tip is more for large fish anyhow. Polespears are inherently simple, and paying $200 bucks for one seems akin to buying a golden sundial. If you can get within a spears length of any fish with the Odor, you can take it.

Also- I spoke with Ray a few times on the phone, and he's a great guy. He shipped my spear out the same day, and I got in from the opposite coast in two days.

GAT-KU polespears. . . . . .These are mostly sold in Hawaiian dive shops, not really open yet to the general public. However, if you contact me direct, I can help you out with ordering whatever you want. We offer 6,7,8,9, and 10 footers that start around 85 bucks for two-peice anodized aluminum (shown below).
MORE DETAILED DESCRIPTION:
This state of the art design includes anodized aircraft aluminum attached to a carbon fiber front end. This combination ensures a straight, durable spear that is more accurate than any other. On the front end, you will be landing more fish with a 'spring-grab' tri-tip paralyzer made of heat-treated stainless, built to withstand impact on the rocky reefs. Instead of waiting for those prongs to rust, as the Hawaiians do, they have been pretextured to insure a landing on those more agressive fish. All GAT-KU Polespears are threaded in the middle for easy assembly and travel. Machined to perfection.. . . ..
Detachable head can be ordered custom.

Dustin McIntyre
(619) 507-3860
gatkudiving@yahoo.com

For those who are close to San Diego, Gat-Ku Polespears presents the 1st annual Gat-Ku Polespear Tournament on Saturday
October 7, 2006. This spearfishing meet is OPEN TO EVERYONE. FREEDIVING ONLY. Let’s put away our high tech Riffes, Wongs, Rob-Allens and custom bazookas for a fun day of diving back to where all of our original roots lie in this great sport of spearfishing – the traditional way, pole spearing!

Trophies will be awarded to first, second, and third place. First place also receives a 6 foot, 2-piece polespear compliments of GAT-KU.

SEE ATTACHMENT FOR DETAILS (Adobe)

Any questions?
Call Dustin at (619) 507-3860
or email at gatkudiving@yahoo.com

Attachments

• GAT 3.jpg
    GAT 3.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 319
  • GAT 2.jpg
    GAT 2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 324
  • GAT 1.jpg
    GAT 1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 332
  • REGISTRATION_Form_2006_Gat_Ku_Polespear_Tournament_1_.pdf
    129.7 KB · Views: 309
Last edited by a moderator:
so which company do u feel that makes the best pole spear and if there is any posific type

I'd probably BUY the Gat-Ku over both the "Odor" or the "Puig".

In fact I'm gonna order the Gat-Ku in a couple of weeks. I'm a bit skeptical about the carbon section possibly breaking from hitting rocks. The areas of the lakes I hunt are usually very rocky and you can't avoid spearing a rock once in awhile.

I hope they can assure me I WILL not break the carbon on ANYTHING except maybe if I slam it in a car door or something stupid. My carbon arrows for my bow are practically indestructable - so I imagine the thicker carbon on a polespear will hold up.

I really like their slip tip design -

And hey.........:cool: CARBON LOOKS COOL! :cool:

From what I hear the HARD CORE Hawaiian and Bahamian polespearer's love 'em - so they must be pretty good.

For now I just use a 6 foot fiberglass polespear...Its holding up extremely well for all the abuse I've been putting it through...I've worn out several bands on it. I just make a new one from latex surgical tubing...3/8 O.D. X 1/16 I.D.

The only reason I'm getting the Gat-Ku is because I just LOVE polespearing and want to take a step up in my gear. Don't tell my wife...But that means...Another set of fins for cold water....Another wetsuit...This time a CUSTOM camo Elios...A new snorkel so my old one can be relegated to a "spare" and all kinds of other crap...It really NEVER ends!

Last edited:
"- I like the knot style with the puig polespear (for hooking up a float line directly to the band), can this same knot be tied with any band for polespears?"
Yes the Puig Knot could be adapted to any pole spear.

I build custom pole spears. They are anodized 3/4" 6061-T6 aluminum tubing and come in 6' one piece 6' two piece and 8' two piece. The length of the spear is minus the 5/16" shaft on the end, which is usually from 12"-18" or what ever you want.

I’m building a new web site and don't have many specs of the spears on my current site. Crist Custom Spears
A couple unique designs to the spears I build are the use of helical inserts "Heli Coils" at the set screw holes that hold the spear shaft and on the 2 piece spear where it mates up. The benefit of this is that they are stainless and will hold up for a very long time un-like an aluminum thread.

The shaft is held on by 2 1/4-28 stainless setscrews. This allows for easy removal of the shaft with a 1/8" hex key. Also if the shaft bends you can cut it off above the bend grind two flats on the shaft and re-use.
The shafts are 17-4 spring stainless and come with a single flopper and pencil point or with 6mm-1 or 5/16-24 threaded shaft so you can use your favorite screw on tip or slip tip.
Here are a couple of pics of me and a nice rockfish I speared with a 2-piece spear I build. Flickr: Photos from azspearo

If interested in a Crist Spears pole spear or want to have one custom made to your specs you can call or e-mail me.
Thanks
Aaron Crist

p.s. Any of the previous mentioned pole spears in this thread are well built and you wouldn't go wrong in their purchase.

there is a huge gap in cost for those spears. if you're willing to dish otu the $200ish+ for the Puig, go for it. fram all reports it is a very fine pole spear, and of excellent craftsmanship.

while I've never handled the Odor, I own one in s simmilar price bracket. you can find them on ebay buy searching for "Linghunt". John Martin is the creator, they are very nice and value priced.

I agree with Aaron, all of the pole spears mentioned above are very nice.

The variety of options and design thoughts all different.

There are some clever designs out there. It's nice to have lots of options.

Here is my latest effort on these Poles. -Linghunt

http://www.linghunt.com/PoleSpears/B3020%20Polespear%20Brochure%20REV4.pdf

Nice PoleSpear Linghunter!
When you say Big fish what are you talking about? 100lbs? or 50lbs even 20lbs is regarded as a big fish in the UK. For the real monsters out there....massive grouper and pelagics a Riffe CF Polespear will supply you with what you need. Any thing around 50lbs I would go for a Gat-Ku, excellent array of materials used in their poles. Their CF front part gives enough flex for a thrashing fish and the rear aluminium part provides it with a lot of thrust and "Punch" . Never ran into a Linghunter Pole so I cant give any info on one, but Im sure their excellent.

Dive Safe!

Nice PoleSpear Linghunt!
When you say Big fish what are you talking about? 100lbs? or 50lbs even 20lbs is regarded as a big fish in the UK. For the real monsters out there....massive grouper and pelagics a Riffe CF Polespear will supply you with what you need. Any thing around 50lbs I would go for a Gat-Ku, excellent array of materials used in their poles. Their CF front part gives enough flex for a thrashing fish and the rear aluminium part provides it with a lot of thrust and "Punch". Never ran into a Linghunt Pole so I cant give any info on that one, but Im sure their excellent.

Dive Safe!

Hello, Riffe and Gat-ku, and don't forget Crist spears too are all good, and there are others. When I was "off-line" in pole spear market, my focus was machining industrial tooling and engineering jobs, I referred divers to Aaron Crist. He put a lot of design thought into his product and stands behind it with outstanding service to his clients.

As baseline goes for fish sizes, If you have a pole that is at least 1/2 way structurally designed properly, I would think the type of tip selected and placement of the shot need to be considered. The Skills of the Spear-0 is a hugh part of it too.

Folks had been bugging me for years to make more poles again, my design goal was a strong robust design that would handle most situations, but I did not want to over engineer it so far that it would cost so much to make and not be affordable to most divers.

The Ray Odor "workhorse" of a pole deserves its do praise as well. Ray sells alot of his gear from referrals and happy customers, and I still haven't seen fancy high priced marketing banners for him.

I made a Custom Polespear for this one diver it was 4 sections, 3 feet long, 12 foot total length not counting tip, 3/4" Solid aluminum stock. He was all secret as to what he wanted it for, but perhaps he planned for large slow moving targets. Point being there are lots of poles out there for particular applications.

-Linghunt

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT