• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rebreather Disinfectant

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Josh

Sep 24, 2004
Any recomendations?

I just finished reading a study that said Virkon S was the best to use. Anybody used this before? Thanks.

Personally I just use listerene, not had any problems and my loop is minty fresh ;)

Listerene has too much alchohol in it. It degrades the seals and rubber in the breathing loop.

Josh, sorry to seem like I am nit-picking here, but why ask for recommendations, then crash and burn the first reply??
Why not just use the disinfectant you used on your rebreather course?

Fair point londonsean69, wasn't sure if I was going to bother to reply.

I've been using listerene (diluted of course) for over a year and have no problems with my hoses or seals, a friend of mine has been doing the same for over two years with no problems.

If your really not that interested in what works for other people go and buy the products recomended by your rebreather manufacturer.

I did not mean to "crash and burn" anyones reply. I read a study that said that the mouthwash contained levels of alchohol that were not good for your equioment. It also said that it took a lot longer to kill (if it even did) all the bad things growing in a loop than other products. Here is the link:http://www.stormingmedia.us/48/4812/A481214.html

You can find it free in PDF form too if you search for it.

Anyway, I am still curious what people are using.

Hi Josh,

I have traditionally used Trigene (or any of it's re-badged named products).

However, I am not at all fastidious about cleaning any of my personal units, and will leave it for quite a while before cleaning it. So, if I were to use something that didn't clean all the bugs out I wouldn't be that concerned, to be honest.

What I would be concerned about, would be anything that may weaken the integrity of the breathing loop. Either with immediate effect or over time. You won't know whether this will be the case without testing it, I guess.

Jeannette

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT