• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Recently getting dizzy??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sal

Jul 31, 2004
Hello, I am new to forum and have been enjoying the many great threads.

I wanted to see if anyone could give me some guidance. I have been diving for several years usually pretty shallow, less than 35 feet. The last couple of times I have noticed that sometimes as I am heading down I get the scary feeling of becoming a little dizzy. I do not know why this is suddenly happening? I have never had this happen before.
Needless to say I am a little hesistant to push my self again.

Any Ideas on what has happended, and what I can do get over it?

Last edited:
Dizziness on the DESCENT can be caused by passage into a cold thermocline, or unequal ear equalization (i.e. if one of your ears is sticky). Of course you can get dizzy on the descent from narcosis effects if you are diving to 200ft+...

You're certain your getting dizzy on the way down, and not on the way up?

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

You are not hyperventilating strongly before you go down are you?

Or packing so much air into your lungs to the point of bursting? That can cause some dizzyness, usually passes after a few seconds.

Adrian

On both occasions it has been going down, Once I take a second and do get down I feel pretty comfortable. With that said I am certainly not as secure in myself.

I am not sure if this could have anything to do with it, but a couple of weeks ago, I had ear wax removed. Once again I do not know if that would play any role in my recent dizzy spells.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The ear wax is the definite culprit. I also had all sorts of ear problems when diving once I had wax removed. In fact, I have stopped clearing wax out of my ears, it serves as a useful shield, especially when in cold water. However, the presence of ear wax makes ear infections far more likely, which means that I must disinfect my ears with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol after every dive, for about 3-5 minutes in each ear.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Thank you very much. I got my answer. I guess its just a matter of readjusting / building up.
Just before I had the process done, I was going to create a post asking what role ear wax plays diving?

the dizziness you are referring to is probably from vertigo the result of going down head first. It's from the inner ear. similar to getting sick or dizzy from carnival rides.

After a recent cold, I try to clear my nose, and as result my ears stay over pressured and lock... Not that confortable, I then open my tubes and inhale strongly, but it only work with one ear, that again lock but in under pressure...

As result I first feel dizzy, then my head start to turn and nearly felt of my chair!!! I could feel my brain trying to get back the balance by working out the extreme difference of pressure in between my ears, and after a few second I vas able to blow again my tubes, and on a more relax way get bak to normal... But was weird to feel my body coordination and balance fail so easily, and all my rational control could do nothing about...

As say Eric could be a not even compensation in your ears...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT