• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Recommendations needed: which foot pockets?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lyoshka

Nov 29, 2015
Hey all!
Brand new to freediving (and hopefully very soon spearfishing). Purchased WaterWay's Capt. Nemos Carbons last year for class, and went on Bogdan's recommendation of my foot size. It seems the foot pockets are way too small-my toes are sticking out (which i can live with), and foot is quite cramped and uncomfortable and had to pull fins off several times during class because of cramps.

So..... It seems i need a bigger size. Can't exchange the fins at this point, so I figured i should look into a bigger foot pocket. What brands of foot pockets do you recommend? (also, what glue do i need to purchase with that?) I can order a bigger foot pocket from WW, but I figured i would ask if there are brands available here that are better anyway before paying international shipping...

If activity makes a difference, I live in NC on the coast and plan to stay in the 20m range for freediving and spearfishing, until i get more comfortable to go deeper.

Thanks!

I've been very happy with Pathos foot pockets. The tops are soft and comfortable but the soles are rigid for good power transfer. Some people, including me, find that they are too shallow over the tops of the metatarsals. That is easily remedied by putting your foot in wearing an extra sock and then heating the top with a heat gun on low temperature or a hair dryer. You end up with customized right and left pockets.

I've been very happy with Pathos foot pockets. The tops are soft and comfortable but the soles are rigid for good power transfer. Some people, including me, find that they are too shallow over the tops of the metatarsals. That is easily remedied by putting your foot in wearing an extra sock and then heating the top with a heat gun on low temperature or a hair dryer. You end up with customized right and left pockets.

Bill, thanks!!! After I posted the thread here and on Facebook, I reached out to the gentleman who runs our local free diving shop here in Wilmington. His comment was basically exactly as you said – Pathos is his favorite brand and after I researched a little bit, it seems they should be a perfect foot pocket for me. After years of running and triathlons, my arches have fallen in my foot is wider now, which I think will fit perfectly into Pathos. And being able to mold it to your foot a bit sounds absolutely awesome. And best of all – he has the brand in his shop so I can actually try them on! If they work, they will glue my blades in for me. I’m cautiously excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like a win-win. Trying them on before you buy is essential, and letting him glue them in is a real bonus. I recently had to replace a pocket when the tendon cracked after a few years of use, and I was looking for a photo of the tire glue I used. Apparently its used to glue tires to the rims of race cars and the tube said its guaranteed to 200 mph, which should be enough for most divers. And I bought it from Masihiro Mori in Los Angeles as part of a kit with three large rubber bands to hold the tendons tight to the blade after gluing. But if you shop is going to glue them in, then you don't have to worry about that.

Thanks for the glue recommendation, Bill. Sam said they would glue them. If not, I will consider your recommendation. I’m very excited about being able to try them on (and now with the perfectly fitting shaped 2mm sock!) and to heat mold them to my foot. My goal is to make my fins feel like my running shoes !

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT