• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

recreational freediving newbie

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

birdy555

Jan 23, 2015
i just turned 19 and i plan to get my scuba diving license in a few months, i discovered free-diving online and i have been doing research and i would like to be able to do this in 2 years after taking a course, but i want to practice some things that i can do before i take the course so i utilize my time efficiently.

i can hold my breath on no practice for 40 seconds before i get discomfort and then i can do another 10 seconds before i have to breathe. making it a total of 50 seconds before taking a breath while lying in bed.

when i do 3 breathe-ups and then hold my breath i last 55 seconds before discomfort and i can ride that out for 28 seconds making it so i last a total of 1.28 minutes before taking a breath while lying in bed

my goal is to hold my breath for 5 minutes minimum before i go take a free-diving course. what are some tips that would help me achieve this, specifically with regards to the contractions. and i've read about packing and hyperventilation and purging and i really don't want to take those risks, i'm willing to spend longer practicing holding my breath out of water with less dangerous methods.

what other things can i do to prepare for the course so i don't waste peoples time when i have no ability or knowledge on what is supposed to be common knowledge.

you seem to have discovered freediving online...
the web, also this forum is full of writings that produce misconceptions, the standarised education even more so.

find a practical context that helps you to become more clear about what intrigues you about the idea to swim under water. I´m sure it´s not secs and minutes but there is something that is a more profound.

Only then you have a base to jugde whether someone can teach you something in regards to your! freediving - and maybe even this forum can then become of help

Last edited:
see the reason why i want to free-dive is because i want to get closer to the sea life, not have as much extra dive stuff to worry about, and a few other personal reasons. my goal is to hold my breath for 8 minutes on land so when i go in the water i'll have a nice base to work at.

you replied...I guess part of my advice was to not engage any further on the forum - for the time being at least.

What do U mean U have to breathe? Did U fall to the floor for lack of oxygen?
;D

Anyway I think there are no entry level requirements for beginner freediving course.

8 min breathhold on land is beyond current view of human fysics. even 5 mins on land is harder then 5 mins on water. How ever 2-3 mins is a peace of cake; just sit on the floor, dont mind the contraption or other ill feelings &hold your breath. In theory, U may pass out, but it somewhat unlikely &harmless.

&do engage the forum further; thats what this is for. It does not matter where U get your misconcemptions from; in a millenium freedivers may B laughing to us, because we did not know how to open our gills.

Last edited:
yea point taken, i just have a personal thing where i like having some knowledge on a subject before i take the course and if i can practice breath control and have a good amount of time i'll feel better when i take the course, i absolutely refuse to free-dive in the ocean without a buddy and having taken a course under my belt so i'm less likely to fuck up. and i have been searching all along the forums for as much information as i can.

Reactions: Hobelf
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT