• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Redefine my goals

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Longfins

Oct 28, 2001
Hello DB folks after a long time lurking. I've been too busy to post lately.

Just got back from a week in Kona, Hawaii, where I spent virtually everyday in the water for the Performance Freediving Clinic's 'Performance' class. It's essentially less talking, mo' diving, working to integrate techniques taught in the previous 'Advance' class.

New personal bests: Free Immersion of 113' in 1'25", Constant Ballast of 70' in 0'37". (God I love my D3, the dive profiles are so lovely!) So exactly one year after I step into the ocean with nothing but mask, fins, and snorkel, I achieved my goal of going deeper than scuba (109'). It's time for me to reset my goals for the future.

It was a pleasure to have met and shared the ocean with:
on DB: DSV (Deron), Bill, Eric Seedhouse; also Brett Lemaster, Matt & Annabel Briseno, Carlos and Margaret Eyles (Margaret has plans to compete - good luck to all competitors!)

I'm wondering how others who set goals for themselves (like in the old 'Personal Best' thread) are faring. Anyone else achieve and advancing their goals? Inquiring mind wants to know.

Peter S.

Way to go Longfins....that sounds as if it was a good course.
50 metres was a number I'd had in mind for a while, and knew that all I needed would be a few weeks in a row near the ocean to hit it....I did it in Egypt a month and a half ago! Monofin, no suit, 1kg weight on my belt, on a weighted line off of Dahab in the Red Sea.
I've since relaxed the training for a while, and have just dived for relaxation, and to look around. I know that the 60 metre mark will begin to nag at me soon....my deepest scuba was 65 metres, and that bothers me!
Cheers amigo,
Erik Y.

When I started serious freediving the 40 meters seem far away, but after a semi-variable ballast to 42 (a lined weight belt to 20 m) I found that I was able to equalize at that depth, a week later I made 42 in CW. In 5 days I'll travel to the island I grew up and hope to get the 50 m (by the way, congratulations Erik). I'll let you know.
I think as deeper as you go, the deepest you want to be.

Goals

Each year, around Christmas, I set goals for the coming year. Usually my goals are in static apnea & constant ballast, because I haven't done much of any other events.

So far I have never reached the goals I set for any one year.

And that's the way it should be.

If I reach my goal for a given year, it means that my goal was not ambitious enough.

I once heard a saying, something like this:
'It is better to aim for the stars and miss, rather than aim for a hill and hit it.'

As an example, here were my goals and how I 'failed'
1998: Goal 30m / 5'00, reached 33m & 5'21
1999: Goal 45m / 6'00, reached 38m & 5'21 (no progress in static)
2000: Goal 82m / 7'00, reached 67m & 6'26
2001: Goal 100m / 10'00, reached 88m & 7'12
2002: Goal 111m / 14'00, reached ?? & ?? (to be determined!)

: )

So, the moral is, set ambitious goals!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Longfins,

It was good meeting you and I hope we can dive together again some day. Congrats on reaching your goal.

To all,
I believe that getting in the water and enjoying yourself is the real goal, your abilities will follow.

DSV

Another Saying

"If you aim for the stars you might at least hit the moon"

Scott

Isn't it...

Isn't it "Aim for the moon and even if you miss you'll land among the stars"?

Tyler

Well Peter,

I wish i could say I taught you all you know, but that would be bs.

Nice goin' bud! I am proud of you. With your new skills, you will be able to bring back some 10" Abalonii:D

Warmly,

Aaron

i got to 30 meters the first time i ever dove and that was with one of those really bulky oldstyle masks

not to brag ( yeah right) but my current limit is 60 meters

c yalll down there (yeah right, u wish)

i already reached my goal for this year thanx to some help from erik y.
now i´ve got my sights on the next one. but i´m not too competitive to break a leg reaching it.

my main goal is to have a good day diving, to see whatever there is to see and to enjoy beeing underwater.

i´ll be diving again in the red sea in 3 weeks already and i´m looking forward to it a whole lot. you can imagine.

enjoy the ocean

roland

:cool:

Stucked

Hola,
I just came from my "training vacations", but I came a little sad.
I thought that with my training I'll reach at least the 45 meters (my PB is 42 m in 2000). The first day of training (The same day I arrived) I did 38 m easily, that was a beautyful sunny day, the sea was very calm, the viz excellent and no current, also I was with my Brother (a person that I love). After that I believe that even 50m will be reached at the end of my 2 weeks. WRONG.
The others day the current was very strong and the 38 was very difficult, my ears didn´t equallize right. After 7 days I did 40 m and it was a perfect descent I used the Frenzel-Fattah technique and didn't have equalizing problems and didn't feel the usual squeeze in my chest, at depth felt full of air and start the ascent, it was very hard to follow the line, because the current was taking me away from it. I felt cramps in my legs in the last 10 meters and finished with a samba. I couldn't go deeper.
I'm stucked at 40m.
Someone has experienced the same?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT