• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

reducing heart rate for greater apnea and freediving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

robbyzuniga

Roberto Zuniga
Mar 25, 2004
Dear Friends:

I see that the lower your heart right before a diving is much better. I have some ideas and maybe we can help each other out :0)

1)less salt intake reduces hypertension and reduces heart rate.

2)Eat sup light or reduce calories for a healthier diet. At least I believe 3-4 before you dive you shouldn’t eat so that much.

3)Aerobic activity builds endurance and is positive for you heart and once you dive your heart rate is slower.

4)A good sleep before diving and a possible nap.

5)No stimulants whatsoever. Do you believe that is there some natural supplement or compound that can increase alertness without producing increase heart rate?

I have learned a lot from you my friends and I will get better and study more so that we can help each other in the community.

Thanks ,
I appreciate you
Roberto Zuniga

Roberto,

Interesting comments.

I have found that my best static apnea happened when I had a high heart rate.

I have also noticed that the more salt I eat, and the higher my blood pressure, the lower my heart rate. It seems that under those conditions, my heart stroke volume is higher. If I avoid salt, my blood pressure drops and my heart rate increases.

For diving, I find that eating right before can be helpful. For static, I think avoiding food is better. For diving, I find that a high-calorie, high fat diet works best. For static, a low calorie fruit based diet seems to work best.

For static, I find that aerobic exercise helps. For diving, I find it hurts (aerobic exercise teaches your body to consume oxygen).

Sleep is definitely important.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Question?

I've seen yogis and freedivers bring they diaphragm up: I read somewhere for reduce they heart rate? Will have a picture practicing the "hollow belly": nice if you could explain that...

Eric,

How do you balance out the two, diet and exercise wise, before a comp- which has both constant weight diving and static's involved? I can see going one way or another for a specific event, but when you have to do two different ones in two days how do you juggle everything?

Jon

Re: Question?

Originally posted by Pablo
I've seen yogis and freedivers bring they diaphragm up: I read somewhere for reduce they heart rate? Will have a picture practicing the "hollow belly": nice if you could explain that...
I think this excersize is called "Udayana banda" or something like that. I was advised to do it to reduce residual lung volume. Should also be a good training for a better flexible diaphram I guess. I didn't hear about a relation to heart rate.

Very interesting post Eric.

Originally posted by efattah
...For diving, I find that eating right before can be helpful. For static, I think avoiding food is better. For diving, I find that a high-calorie, high fat diet works best. For static, a low calorie fruit based diet seems to work best...
Eric, could it be that your findings regarding food before diving and the high contents of fat are related to the fact that you're diving in very cold (by my defenition) water?

Do you think you'll get the same resualts diving in 25-30c water?

Regarding eating fruits for static, what do you assume is the reason for your findings?
I would've guessed that higher blood sugar (fruits compared with protein/fat) is bad for statics since I seem to remember you stated that suger takes more O2 to burn - I think you advised somebody, maybe Thin-air about 2 years ago to breath more heavliy if taking a sports drink to the pool workout (memory test).

On the other hand, it could be that after getting higher blood sugar the body produce insulin and you end up with a lower blood sugar at the end.

Another speculation is that the brain might still remain consiousness easliy consume simple sugars even in low oxygen environment.

It couldn't be all thanks to the anti-oxydents and funky acidic/alkeline compunds, could it:confused:

Can anyone think of any way to test this?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT