• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Regarding Static Apnea...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TMcKee

Aug 9, 2002
My wife and I go to the gym on a regular basis. She is not as fond of the water as I am but she tolerates swimming. I was wondering, I am trying some statics in the water. When im floating face down, im holding her hand should I apply a firm grip or what? Should I just rest my hand in hers? I imagine that there needs to be some kind of grip....

Is there another way of her knowing if somethings wrong? I have a free-divng training partner but I only see him on wednesdays or thursdays, so after my dizziness post, I need to do something about water time. She is trained in CPR/First Aid, and takes some interest in my eccentric hobbies, and is willing to be with me for the statics. I wont try dynamic with her, only with the guy who is familiar with it. Any tips? What should she look for, save for loss of grip strength? I am concerned with safety (now) and I know that the blind leading the mostly blind isn't really a good practice, what else am I to do? Should I only try for serious statics when in my bed or with the fella thats more familiar with it?:confused:

Hey TM,
basically you should have her start tapping you on the shoulder at a preset time....say 3 minutes, then at 3:15, 3:30, etc. You respond by giving an "OK" sign. If she does not see the OK sign, then she taps again. If you still don't respond, then she pulls you up, head out of the water, and tells you to breath.
Of course it would be good if your partner knows some CPR, etc, but usually a victim will simply awaken, a little disoriented.
There's more, but that's the way it's done in training and in all the competitions I've been in.
Take care and good luck with the new PBests!
Erik Y.

T McKee & spouse
It felt strange to read your post. Your description fits my wife, too. She has been spotting my dry statics for over a year and we just recently started doing it in the pool. Two weeks ago I had a very bad day and we tested the emergency procedures. It happened over a minute before I was 'supposed' to be pushing.

We maintain the lightest of physical contact and communicate every minute, then switch to standard signals. If I do anything without a signal she calls me up. When I blacked out just after a signal, the first clue was the exhalation upon relaxation. She had two 'problems'. Unlike our rehersals she used way more energy to roll me over and I almost went face down the other way (I'm way bigger than she is). Then, when she saw that my eyes were open, she froze for a few seconds. The procedure that we worked out calls for her to sit on the edge of the pool (new design with no lip), clamp my head up with her knees and rub/pat my face. Technique worked OK but, I wish we hadn't tested it.

Aloha
Bill
P,S. All statics are serious, imho.

Originally posted by Bill
... we just recently started doing it in the pool.
;)

TM ; as the guys said , work out a system of signals and responses . I used to like a first signal halfway through my static , then one minute later , then 30 sec.'s for the next two and 15 sec.'s for the remainder . If I didn't respond to the signal I immediately got another , if still no response a flip - over . Although I never needed it , it is very reassuring for both parties to have a clear understanding of procedures .
Good luck and keep us posted .:)

Sorry Bill , have been hanging around Sven too long ...:eek:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT