• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Relative risk of Freediving versus "Land" Sports

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Apr 11, 2018
Just a question - have you guys experienced that freediving is "more" dangerous than other (land-based) sports? I saw a close call in the pool yesterday although it was not free dive related...just makes one wonder about what I am trying to do and if i am prepared for it. Any thoughts? Again not trying to be negative here just realistic about my abilities! I am a very newbie here

The best safeguard in freediving is having a buddy who is willing and able to watch you and rescue you when you blackout (NOT a pool lifeguard). If your buddy can't see you or can't get to you then you are essentially alone - so when diving in dark water or very deep water then you should consider yourself "alone" even if you have a buddy with you.

Reactions: Richard Bender
The best safeguard in freediving is having a buddy who is willing and able to watch you and rescue you when you blackout (NOT a pool lifeguard). If your buddy can't see you or can't get to you then you are essentially alone - so when diving in dark water or very deep water then you should consider yourself "alone" even if you have a buddy with you.

Most certainly. I guess i am talking about even in best of circumstances. I also saw a couple blackout vids on "serious" freedivers. They were not pretty. Also on a more personal level I did find a buddy in my area relatively close. He only dives to around 15-20 feet. He is looking for people to dive with. I think I will be clear if i am to dive with him that i have not been trained in rescue and might not know what to do. I could certainly be eyes to an extent. Just wouldn't want to be suddenly responsible if i'm not trained.

I think that the only intelligent and reasonable way to freedive is to take some sort of formal course, whether that's with a freediving agency or just an instructor teaching appropriate skills and rescue procedures and only dive with buddies who have learned the same skill set.

What it all comes down to is that if you black out and aren't rescued you will die. It's as simple as that.

I know it's not always easily accessible but if there's a will there's a way. It would not only help your safety, but also improve your diving if you found and made the trip to find an instructor that could teach you properly.

It is not hard to learn to revive a blacked-out pool buddy - and in competitions it is almost routine. You just need to take a course and practice it. Pool diving is safe if you have a buddy that is watching you and knows how to properly bring you to the surface and revive you.
I have only seen a blackout once in my life and the guy who blacked out was not really doing freediving - he was just competing with his buddies to see who could go furthest underwater.

Thank you for your input. I will seriously reconsider diving w/ this fellow i found until i take a course or learn the skills!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT