• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Relaxing during deep dives

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
i forgot one thing....

you see how we tie a knot in the rope and clip it to the bottom of the reel. well, a better approach is to clip the knot directly underneath the buoy. this means that any forces are applied directly to the buoy and not through the reel. the reel itself is fairly sturdy, but this is just an added precaution that is no extra hassle. in the extremely unlikely event of the reel falling to pieces during a dive, then the rope would remain intact, and not sink into the abyss!!... taking the diver with it!

note for sea divers especially: this reel does rust! we use it in freshwater and there is corrosion inside the steel tube frame. it is immersed for about 2x2hours per week, but water seems to remains inside the frame continuously. the rust appears to be superficial at this stage. we will simple replace the reel (which costs ~$30) when we feel that the corrosion maybe becoming a problem.

other alterations that i have added to our set-up recently are:
1) thicker lanyard. what you see in the photo is 1.5mm crimped monofilament. we are about to start using a thicker 2mm monofilament, which is nothing more than strimmer wire, and it is coloured green to be more visible. the extra thickness means the lanyard should remain straighter and is less likely to tangle or wrap around things.
2) i now wrap 2cm wide white tape around the tip of the velcro strap. this means that the tip cannot stick down. this makes it easy to grab and pull off, and highly visible if the diver needs to take the strap off. i intend to use a better bolt snap soon - when we start wearing gloves. the one we currently use is fine for bare hands, but may be too fiddly when wearing gloves....

i'm always trying to find ways of improving our equipment for deep diving to make thing safer and easier.... it's a never ending process! :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT