• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Releasing the hand-break

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fpernett

Nov 7, 2001
I wanted to share my last experience while freediving, in order to read the original article in spanish you can go to my blog.

"Although my trip to San Andres, became different from what I expected, it was quite positive in my approach to the depth. My plan was to realise directed training and to finish with an immersion in CNF between 43-45 meters. But, the destiny (always the destiny) wanted another thing for my. My brother was with a severe tonsillitis and He couldn't even to speak; to dive? … No way!.
On Friday, we went to the beach mainly to prove my fluid-goggles, but it was a torment. First, because they are designed for line diving and for that reason the vision is good with near objects, but nothing is seen by far, and, in Elsie Bar that is not very reassuring. Secondly, the seawater constantly in the eyes makes you see the devil in underpants. Now is clear, that the adaptation is going to be very slow and I'll just use it for the deeper immersion.
On Saturday I decided to go to a recreational dive in the Nirvana Drop-off. As I was alone my immersions should be conservative. I started gradually with immersions to -10, -15, -18, in zones very known by me. I did not watch the depth gauge nor the time, just when surfacing. I decide not to guide my immersions by numbers but on my body's feeling. I reached the drop-off and started to descend by the edge -25, -30, -32 I felt very relaxed, something that I never felt being alone in the drop-off. I continued descending by the sand edge a little bit more. I leaned on the sand and looked towards the surface. " How much separate me from surface? ". " Who cares! ". I was so relaxed and looked at the next fall of -40 meters, it was so close. I leaved the bottom and at surface watched the computer: -35 meters and 2 minutes of immersion. It felt so easy that I thought on going to to the -40 meters bottom. But no, I was alone and that's not a good idea.
On the Next day came back with Jonathan and my Nephew, Juancho. I started with shallow dives and ended at -38 and -39 meters dives with a tranquillity that I not had felt long time ago. I started the ascent with no anxiety to arrive, without any doubts and fining with calm. In fact the ascent and descent speed was very below my usual marks, I believe that happened because my mind was not thinking on a performance but assimilating moment at moment the immersion feelings. Don't know if it were chance or the destiny but as soon as I arrived to Bogota I fund this article from Sebastian Naslund, and understood that something similar happened to me. Released the hand brake. This also remember me a talk in the Bahamas, we stated that a deep immersion is tacitly a potential encounter with the death. To be at -90 meters, with just the force of your arms and legs to return is a potentially mortal state. And if we approach the depth with this thinking, you'll never be able to dominate the depth. It is not necessarily a desire to die, is to suppress the fear to die. And how can you suppress a so primitive instinct. Now, I'll say, that are several things: To understand, very personally, why you want to go deep, to have confidence in your capacities as freediver and not to doubt on what you are able of, and what I call " The Nirvana" , the feeling that you are part of the depth, not like a visitor but like a very part of it. I do not believe that I am the Colombian freediver with more knowledge about the depth, but what I have come experimenting in my last immersions, impel myself to write these word, it's simply what I feel when i'm going down. "

Last edited:
Very Cool, a state I aspire to but very, very seldom even come close.

Thanks for posting.

Connor

If I only remembered where the damn handbrake is! Pulling the only handle that I found on my body, remotely resembling the handle of a handbrake in my car, did not have the desirable effect. I will have to write the manufacturers for a manual, or ask a refund.

PS: nicely written post, Frank

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony Babowicz
Great post!

Trux--be careful what objects you pull on...they could break off if treated roughly!

Cool Experience Frank!

I'm blessed with a few of those moments too.
And similar to your desciption these tend to happen in times of reflection, allone, when the competition element is deserted, and one does not bother about time or any other exact numbers. When there is no intension other than being there with a moment to oneself. When you trust yourself enough to let your body be in the driver seat and be a relaxed confident silent trusting observer foccusing on the current sensations in the now.

Euhmm.. Before I start rambling more vague stuff, I better quit here and quickly add that though the above is very nice, it can also be dangerous when your sensations are scewed or not felt in time for some reason.
So people, don't always expect a helping dophin to be down there, sometimes they are bussy with other things too!

Thanks for sharing Frank, it's nice to be reminded of those prescious freediving pearls every now and than!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Great article Frank, and I'm jealous (in a friendly way) of that amazing dive session. I'll be there for the next ;)

Thanks to all. Solo freediving is a dangerous practice, but my intention was to share that feelings. It's a DAYOR (do it at your own risk) way to dive. BTW it's more fun with a partner.
@ simon: I hope that mate!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT