• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Removing a scratch from mask lens

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Leander

Oct 17, 2017
One of my masks has a deep scratch on the outside of the lens. Of course it's right in front of the eye :)

Any ideas on how to remove the scratch, if it is even possible?

Talk to a glasses shop/optometrist,?Try toothpaste? Maybe T - cut cutting fluid, used to polish cars? Autosol, metal polish? I sometimes use autosol to strop sharpened blades to a near mirror finish.

Reactions: Leander
There are various materials they use to fill scratches like a very clear hardening wax. You don't think the strength is compromised? Polishing may be a bit labor intensive, be sure to get the appropriate abrasive like a cerium oxide otherwise it could take forever.

Reactions: Mr. X and Leander
Thanks for the replies. Dive with the mask last week and because the scratch is on the outside the water makes the scratch less visible during use. Also it's a micromask copy, so the lens is very close to the eye, wit the scratch on a second look luckily not directly in front of the eye's center, so during use I hardly noticed it.

I'm not afraid of it being structurally weakened. It's just deep enough to be felt with a fingernail, and during diving there shouldn't be extreme pressure differences between inside and outside anyway.

Thanks for all the ideas. A filling wax is an interesting one, buffing is a solution that I guess needs a dremel with buffing wheel or it would turn into a lifelong job.

Hey Buddy!

Long story short, the squeeze isn’t worth the juice unless you have very expensive prescription lenses fitted on it .

I used to work in the reef-keeping sector (acquariums) where class gets often scratched by coral fragments etc.

Generally anything you can’t feel with your nail you can get rid off with Cerium Oxide and a serious machine buffing. Anything deeper than that and you need progressive abrasives and polish.

New mask IMO

moi j'utilise du Miror, produit pour rénover les cuivres !...c'est un abrasif très doux que j'ai déjà utilisé avec succès !

I use MIROR, a product to renovate brass! ... it is a very soft abrasive that I have already used with success!

Those micro mask copies are not very expensive. I think polishing the glass is arduous and not worth the time or the cost. You may fill it in as someone suggested and see if you notice it.
Or just buy a new mask and keep this as a spare for emergencies on your float (you never know, a strap may break during a dive or you may lose a mask) or to lend to a friend if the situation comes.

Or sell it on an auction site as used with defects at a discount.

Thanks again for the replies. This mask is my backup mask, the other one being the real micromask. The copies aren't expensive at all, less than 20 euro at Decathlon, so I probably leave the scratch in. I liked the copy more than the original though; its silicone is much softer (but the mask-strap connection is much weaker).

Thanks again for the replies. This mask is my backup mask, the other one being the real micromask. The copies aren't expensive at all, less than 20 euro at Decathlon, so I probably leave the scratch in. I liked the copy more than the original though; its silicone is much softer (but the mask-strap connection is much weaker).
You could sell the original micro mask at the auction site, and with that money buy at least 2 Decathlon copies, that you like better!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT