• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Replacement shaft for Technisub Ranger

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

walt.h.

Apr 20, 2009
I recently puchased some Technisub Rangers and I wanted to purchase extra shafts for the guns. (I know that these guns have been discontinued.) I only have 1 shaft as a reference and I'm not sure if other shafts for other guns would work with these.

Does anyone know anything about interchangeability with other products? The shaft I have now is 8mm in diameter, the end tapers down to about 7mm. The length of the shaft from the point to the end is about 26 inches. Over all the gun is about 25 (+/-) inches from the barrel tip to the air fill end.
Can I use a Mares, Sporasub, or Cressi shaft for their 70 cm guns?
I've also seen a 1 1/2" adapter for the Technisub guns, what's that for? Don't the 8mm line shafts already come with that adapter already? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: Jan Kaspar
Three different size spear tail adaptors are available for Italian produced pneumatic spearguns, namely Mares, Cressi-Seac and Technisub. Sporasub are the same as Mares. These tails have different taper sizes to fit their respective pistons, so you will need the Technisub tail adaptors for the Ranger speargun models. Salvi and Sons (Salvi & Figli, info@salviefigli.com) manufacture those tails and other precision speargun components. The reason the tail adaptors are supplied separately is to allow shafts to be made up which use better materials such as heat treated spring stainless steel. "A-Plus Marine Supply" used to stock Technisub pneumatic speargun shafts, maybe you could try them.

Well eight years on things are not going to be any easier, however I just looked at the "A-Plus Marine Supply" website and a Technisub pneumatic speargun shaft tail adapter is still listed! http://www.aplusmarine.com/Gun-Adapter-End--Adapt-A-Shaft_c_270.html

You can use the tail adapter to create a new spear as the spear shaft is relatively easy with screw threads at each end. As "A-Plus Marine Supply" only sells wholesale you will need to find a retail outlet, but now you know that the parts are still available you can point them out as a source to a dive store. Or you could ask "A-Plus Marine Supply" for advice on where you might be able to buy one, in fact it may be worth buying several as spares. The parts are made in the USA according to the website.

Looks like you can buy them at Spearfishing World.
http://www.spearfishingworld.com/stainless-steel-pneumatic-shaft-adapters.html

Last edited:
what's the sear and inner diameter of the shooting barrel like in a Technisub? I am just wondering if it would be possible to just change to a Mares piston as they should be easier to get - and with that would come a bigger selection in shafts.

The "Ranger" parts diagram shows what looks like a short body metal piston with a front plastic bearing collar, a mid-body "O" ring and a rear conical rubber seal, rather like the piston used in their "Grinta" model. It was not unusual for manufacturers to re-use parts in their later pneumatic speargun models and the "Grinta" sear lever may have been re-used as well. There are photos of those items here https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/technisub-grinta-pneumatic-speargun.100365/. If you change the piston to a plastic one then you will need to check how it fits into the anvil of the muzzle shock absorber which will also be made of metal. A plastic shock absorber body may fit inside the Technisub muzzle, but you would need to check it.

Just looking at the "Grinta" thread's second page it appears that a Cressi SL piston was substituted in a rebuilt gun, so you may be able to do the same with the "Ranger".

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT