• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

replacement spear shaft has smaller washer than original?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rwb500

Jan 20, 2015
hi everyone, I recently bought a 115cm Seac Caccia on ebay. I am pretty sure it came with correct shaft. The shaft sticks a bit in the gun. That is to say, as I start to load it, the end of the shaft will get stuck in the gun and require some yanking to get it out, if I decide to not load it. I assume this is normal?

anyway, I ordered a spare shaft on amazon (they were clearing them out for $11). it is identical except the washer on the end is smaller. see attached picture. to me it seems that this washer just sits right outside the muzzle of the barrel and its job is to keep the spring from falling down the internal barrel? the new smaller one seems to do that just fine. am I OK?

Attachments

• IMG_2627.JPG
    IMG_2627.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 140
also one more thing - there seems to be very little information available about shaft and speartip thread sizes. are they mostly all the same?

Hi,

I am not sure about the washer issue since I don't own a pneumatic speargun, but I would instinctively say 2nd spear sounds like the correct one.

However, concerning the thread size, I am not sure I understand your question correctly, but from way I understand it you are asking if there are different thread sizes? The answer is yes. I think I mention this on my blog post on spear tips (see signature for the link), there are different diameters, pitch, etc. The diameters and pitch are defined either using metric or US sizes. The continent the maker is in usually is a good indicator of the unit they use. The most common size I have seen, even on some US shafts/tips is the metric "M6" and less so the "M7", but always check! It goes without saying (but I will mention it in case this is what your question was) that the shaft thread specifications have to match the tip/point thread specifications (e.g. M6 male thread on the shaft means you need an M6 female thread on the point).

I hope this helps

thanks! that is what i was asking. So many shafts and tips do not give any thread size info on the manufacturers or retailers websites, and some just say "standard threading." So that's why I asked. I saw somewhere that Seac, Cressi, and Mares are typically all the same. Does that sound correct? Could I just order a Cressi tip for my shaft?

i tried to measure my threads but its tough without a caliper. perhaps i should just take it to home depot and see which metric nuts fit on it.

i tried to measure my threads but its tough without a caliper. perhaps i should just take it to home depot and see which metric nuts fit on it.
Yes, I did that once and it worked well, good luck!

went to home depot and it's 7mm. I ordered a spare JBL spearpoint. I will be testing it in the pool tomorrow morning!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT