• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Researching rescue scenarios

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

laura storm

Rebel Angel
Jan 16, 2003
I have for some months been working on a bigger text for safety / support divers. The idea behind this is to highlight every hazard, whether it is environmental, physiological, psycological, equipment related or otherwise.
Aside from the obvious rescue scenarios, I would like some help with the less common potential incidents.
Please post here or mail me if you think you have something of interest.
Laura

Reactions: jodyfreedive
hi Laura,
can you briefly list the scenarios you've thought of. that will make it easier for others to spot the ones you've missed.

Hi Alun
I have the following written into my current protocol:

Blackout, deep water and shallow

SAMBA

Burst eardrum / vertigo

Ear / Sinus equalisation problems

General disorientation

Loss of equipment leading to disorientation or reduced ability to complete dive (mask, fins, weightbelt etc)

Collision with a support diver (based on freedivers reduced field of vision and support divers being pushed into line or losing their own orientation.).

Collision with safety freediver

Panic / Over committing

Entanglement (with line, lanyard)

Fatique both mental and physical

Narcosis & O2 toxicity / physiological effects of etc

Cramp

Muscle fatigue

Equipment failure (no limits or other) or when using FHOF safety system

Marine life injuries

Boat injuries

Search and recovery (assuming a freediver was not using a lanyard and descent line)

I could do with info from anyone who has experienced severe reverse block in their sinuses. In particular if this could have prevented you from surfacing.

I'm also looking into scenarios that justify offering compressed air to a freediver at depth (controversial I know, but this needs to be discussed and included in any bigger text).

Laura

the list seems pretty comprehensive to me. i can't think of anything that isn't covered just now.

Laura,

You may want to contact Hamish Tweed, Canadian 'technical support diver extraordinaire', who has been supporting CAFA freediving competitions since 2000. He should be an invaluable resource in this venture and have plenty of knowledge and experiences to share.

I am PMing you his address.

Cheers,

Peter S.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT