• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Respect

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
this is horrific, how can you kill these innocent creatures!
the jumping baby dolphin really broke my heart, what's wrong with those japanese & chinese people being so intolerant against nature
a change in attitude would be very pleasant

and the worst thin is that they blame the dolphins of eating all the fish, while they're themselves are the problem

u dont have to go that far away. here in cyprus fishermen have the same attitude. they say dolphins destroy their fishing nets and eat their fish. for this reason they asked the government for financial compensations and often kill dolphins themselves.
...welcome to europe...

Ignorance is a painful thing that ultimately we must all bear witness.
when will everyone see that artisinal fishing and commercial efforts cannot mix. Those Two arent even the same conscious effort. anytime large incomes stimulate the taking of any animal for food, rather than sustenance locally you end up with serious problems.

Real fishermen ensure the health and sustainability of his natural resources, as do real hunters of the land. anything else is rampant Piracy for a proffit.

as a spearfisherman I do all I can to learn about the life histories and breeding sizes of the species I intend on eating, and avoid shooting juveniles and females, and you can tell the difference readily. as a line fisherman you have the option to release, and it should be practiced in the instance of juveniles and pregnant females. that is giving back to the future.

Many of the arguments about Mercury are serious. The argument about Pain is pointless, they all feel pain either briefly or slowly. If you are going to kill something, you should take every effort to decrease the ammount of pain for the animal, but will anyone ever know how much pain that was?

Cetation Killing: should be a no brainer, that is too close to humanity, and yet we havent managed to sourt out human rights issues to any certainty. I am glad to see that there are humans with enough freedom of financial resources, and conscientious fortitude to focus on Cetations rather than humans. It is good to see that someone is willing to sit on the line of fire.

Reactions: spaghetti
Yeah - Respect to Kirk, Mandy and OPS (Oceanic Preservation Society).

Cheers Wes

Hmm, I've seen a film circulating in the net very much like is described here, also narrated by "hollywood a-list" actor. But that was at least one year ago...This is a different thing?

I'm not usually too easily startled, but that was truly horrible to watch, I'll have to admit.

I don't like the idea of killing marine mammals at all - in fact I hate the idea. But if somebody were to do it sustainably and humanely I would have no grounds on which to tell them not to, as I eat plenty of sustainably and humanely slaughtered land mammals.

Why do people say 'innocent' all the time? Innocent of what? Sounds to me like aesthetic judgements get all mixed up with arguments about sustainability and ethics when it comes to whaling.

Interesting point. I'm in agreement in all respects. Here a local girl got involved with Peta and was talking about how fish have personalities. Of course - everything has personality inasmuch as anything with form is influenced uniquely by everything. There gets to be a sort of mega-anthropomorphiphrenia or something - wherein we project onto nature.

Reactions: spaghetti
I agree with what Mullins says. I don't like this kind of thing but I hesitate to judge them by current western values (which seem a mixed bag). Is it any worse that British commercial fishermen throwing away prime fish that would take them above their quota? I think we need to make some allowance for other cultures - we're not always "right". Not sure if it is true but I recall somebody telling me that the US taught Japan how to whale as a way to help feed itself after the war. Certainly Britain was a whaling country at one time, and I wouldn't say that our morals have improved since then - but they have changed. They're changing now too, with the economy facing recession, food prices rising, house values falling, sky high fuel price & a govt. stuck in the mud. Then there was that thing with the American Bison.

Re. fish with characters, of course they do -- didn't you see Finding Nemo?!:duh;)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT